1993 2.5 Petrol Caravelle - HEAD GASKET TEST

Hi all,

Just thought I would add this after doing a head gasket test on me Velle:

Reason:
Water/white stuff on oil funnel/cap.

Aim:
Check each cylinder pressure.

Technical Level - 1 = non mechanically minded ---- 5 being a mechanic:
2 and I'm no mechanic - I'm a web designer!

First of all you will need the following:

Plus vehicle and key I:

Listed version:
Cylinder Pressure Test Kit (try to borrow this, a good tool, expensive to buy, possible use once in a life time).
Sprocket set with Spark Plug removal sprockets
Wire brush
Cloth (to wipe your hands)

Remove 4 bolts (1993 model - not sure on years) top right and left of radiator:

Lift the radiator you will see that on either side that the radiator is hinged, pull it forward and you will notice you now have an extra 3" (size matters!) to play with:

Remove one Spark plug at one time, whilst installing the Pressure gauge in to that chamber, and try to start the engine. Mine started after a few turns but then I immediately turned the engine off.

View of Spark plug:

Not sure on colour of tip of spark plug - I'm sure it shows sign of an ok engine :confused:

Take note of the pressure reached and re-install the spark plug, you may want to clean the spark plug with a wire brush.

Do the above to each cylinder one at a time.

Points to Note:
Do not remove all HT leads at once - will result in engine non-starting or miss firing.
Do not over tighten the spark plugs.
Check thread of spark plug and ensure spark plug hole is clear of debris, whilst ensuring that no debris enters the cylinders’.

My cylinders’ measured the following:

60, 60, 80 (but started), 80 (but started) and 60 (reached 80 when started).
Not sure what to make of the results, should I fit a new head gasket?

I'm no mechanic but found this really easy but you will need the Cylinder Pressure Kit which can be quite expensive to buy if you’re only going to use it every now and then. As mentioned before I'm a web designer and am trying to get my Velle on the road, ready for my family and I to enjoy on a budget.

Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
good work mate, can this be posted somewhere for others in tech section, l am sure others will comment and advise, most are away on weekend as weather is good. :ILU:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts