VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1992 T4 Power steering Leak (Pictures)

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  BingleyLion 
#1 ·
Hello there fellow T4 owners,

I’ve recently become part of this group of people who own a T4. Ive kitted out the back to be a little camper. Really enjoyed the process.

Today while driving I heard a whining sound coming when I turned the wheel. First thought it was a gearbox while. However while stationary the whining while dry turning was loud and felt like it was juddering.

I’ve got under the van without it crushing me, and it appears that the leak is coming from this pipe On the drivers side. I’ve highlighted it. Is this anything to do with the power steering circuit?

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Cain

See less See more
#3 ·
im pretty sure its a small steel pipe which is on the steering rack, you cant by it new by its self from vw but you could possibly get it made up somewhere but you will need to get it off so you can see the end fittings or maybe find a second hand rack at a scrapyard to take it off.

#4 ·
Thanks for your reply I appreciate your help. I’m trying to get home (100 miles) so I’ve patched it up with tape (yes tape) it’s stopped the constant flow to a drip. So hopefully I can get home and then look at getting another pipe.

do you know how deep that pipe runs into the engine bay? Been trying to find a diagram but can’t.

Cain

#7 ·
They look a similar size, don’t think I’ll be paying for a whole new steering arm though. Could be an issue to remove also. I’ve done some research now I know what it is and no many people have done this repair before so I’m a little unclear to why this has happen to be. Albeit here we are, 3 weeks into ownership.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.