VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Now me fans are working and the block is not over heating just wondered what upgrades could be done to 2.5 petrol block. I've seen some air filters for diesels but none for petrol freaks :( .

Any links or ideas??

Chalky

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
K&N panel filter, replace your back box with a straight thru' (the standard box is very heavy and restrictive) If you have mucho money then a head rework and performance cam will release some extra hp.(look on the K&N website for the filter part no.)

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Yep cat is a must for mot, i have de cat mine but will take it to mot with cat fitted. Filter should be flat :confused: anyway mine is. Gonna straight pipe mine at the back cos as said the back box is huge!! T:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You can get performance cats for a few £££'s Should help a bit, won't pass an mot without one. Also if you're running lpg the mot emmissions test doesn't include a cat test(so might get away without one not sure of the legality though).

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've got a CAT and one back box on mine, sounds like a herd of elephants, TBH i am tempted to add another box back in as it sets of cars alarms.
I'm running 2 boxes(custom fit jetex items) and it's plenty loud, tried with just one but it scared my children. While welding it up I ran out of gas and had to nip up to the local motorfactors in my van with no silencers on, it was VERY loud, think group b quattro:cool:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
custom turbos, exhausts induction systems, performance cams etc etc etc anything can be tunedT:T:T:T:
I agree, only limit is the wallet. A few companies did turbo kits for them, Oettinger,Abt,Schrick to name some.TSR did a few bits aswell(vag tuners not scooby engine converters).
And Nitrous T:T:, superchargers... I'm starting to drool!

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
You can get performance cats for a few £££'s Should help a bit, won't pass an mot without one. Also if you're running lpg the mot emmissions test doesn't include a cat test(so might get away without one not sure of the legality though).
That true marco? Would save me a lot of bother swopping back and forth for mot. Mine runs loads better without the cat :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi been reading the thread for a little while , the 2,5 petrol is just an enlarged ( slightly) and detuned audi quattro engine . There were a few tuning companies in Germany who fitted turbocharged 2.3 engines to the caravelle / transporter in the 90s by all accounts and from what i have seen on the odd internet site they put out about 240bhp and are capable of over 240kms an hour ie a bit quick . They also had strengthened gearboxs and uprated brakes etc . That maybe a bit extreme but there are plenty of 5 cylinder audis out there on ebey for peanuts ( all with the kind of bhp figures that the pp boys would die for )and they will probabily all fit as long as you have the ecu etc and are prepared to modify the sump and the oil pump pick up . The engine swap would not be to difficult and you would save a lot of time messing around getting heads polished etc .
Also there is somebody on here who has fitted a skoda vrs engine into an early t4 . as far as I can tell not on the road yet . But 200 bhp and maybe 25mpg round town got to be interesting !!
Good luck and keep us informed

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Stridey on here went down the audi route, haven't seen the finished article but he got an audi for peanuts and ran it for a while before stripping it, he made his money back selling the bits he didn't need. A lot of the audi tuning boys use the 2.5 diesel crank and block to give a bit more hp. I believe the 2.5 petrol is the same block so you have the basis for a 500hp+ engine if you have the $$$.

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
I am still doing the Auid route. Bought a 90 with a cracking engine running for around the £250 mark. Beats worrying if a crated engine is any good. Its the 10v engine, which is older than the 20v version that is more loved by most people with cars but the 10v has a lot of low down grunt and does around 133bhp stock. The 5 cylinder is one of the nicest sounding engines. And i made all my money back on stripping the Audi.

We had hoped it would bolt up to the gearbox, but it needed and adapter plate to be made, as the holes wernt the same.

at the moment I am working on the van in the barn, the engine is on a stand and being fettled, I have the adapter plate ready to mate to the engine, we have drilled it for the gear box, but will do the engine side holes once we decide on exact orientation of the engine.

I am going to use a 'megasquirt' engine management system as it can switch between petrol and LPG with two different maps.

The whole plan was to drop the engine in, but as I have worked on the van its evolved to upgrading the drums to discs, working on the body work, interior, suspension. etc etc etc.

The ultimate plan is once this engine is in to hunt for an Audi 200 and take the engine from that and put it in the van. One day....the 2.3 10v is a stepping stone until a dirt cheap running 200 is sourced.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi all,

Not sure about another engine at the mo, but like I said early, surely if your going to go into polishing the heads etc you might as well get another engine that will fit becuase of cost ££££.

I've been talking to Matt at T4Performance (via PM) and he says a petrol 2.5 can have an induction kit :D . Feel like a boy racer. :cool:

It might be a stupid question, but what is the standard bhp for a 1993 2.5 petrol Velle?

Also, just spent 2 hours trying to get the spare wheel out LOL:, apparently one of the bolts stays in and then you move the spare wheel carrier LOL:LOL: .

Anyway....roll on the weekend!

Chalky

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Evening all

As discussed with chalky essentially any engine can have an Induction kit with the right adaption, I recomend the BMC cda Universal kit, Its a cracking bit of kit, enclosed cold air feed so no sucking heat from the engine bay, looks sweeeeeeeet in caron to:ILU:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts