VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members

I will try and be brief and succinct as possible. The van is a 1993 T4 1.9d, discs up front and drums at the rear. It had been stood, albeit undercover for 10 years. I decided to get it roadworthy and it is but I am not happy with the brakes even though it passed the MOT. I will explain what I have done to the braking system. Fronts, discs were fine, calipers stripped down, cleaned the pistons, they were in very good condition, fitted new seals, boots, and pads. Also cleaned, greased and new boots on the sliders. Rear drums, drums were in exellent condition, brake shoes fell apart. Fitted new wheel cylinders and brake shoes, all the ajustment set up cleaned up like new and worked fine. Replaced one small peice brake pipe at the rear to the wheel cylinder. There is no bulging under preasure of the short flex hoses. Servo works fine (physical test) but replaced the master cylinder.
The brakes were bled with a Sealey power bleeder which I have used many times on all my vehicles. I have done it 4 times up to now. In the end I got a machanic who is on the same site as me to have a look. He suggested the old way of bleeding, so we did it together (pumping the pedal) Its still the same, still quite a spongy pedal and the stopping power is not good.
One thing is good though, I can lock the back brakes at speed with the handbrake.
Has anyone had the same problem and more to the point what is the remedy ? Is there something I have not done or something I have overlooked.
:cool:
By the way I have another van a 1996 T4 2.4 Syncro and the brakes on this are fantastic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well if its spongy its air in the system.

You mentioned you fitted new seals to the front callipers. In several attempts I have never been satisfied with doing this and have always ended up fitting new/rebuilt ones. With brakes its not worth messing around, I know the seal kits are pennies but by the time you've faffed around..........

My money would be on an imperfect seal on the front calliper(s) letting a little air in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if its spongy its air in the system.

You mentioned you fitted new seals to the front callipers. In several attempts I have never been satisfied with doing this and have always ended up fitting new/rebuilt ones. With brakes its not worth messing around, I know the seal kits are pennies but by the time you've faffed around..........

My money would be on an imperfect seal on the front calliper(s) letting a little air in.
Thanks for your response "Paramedic". I would agree with you it feels for all the world like its air in the system somewhere. The other T4 I have, I rebuilt those front calipers (seals, dust boots etc) and the brakes as I said are fantastic. I have a sports car with Brembo brakes and I rebuilt those and they are fantastic. On this T4 the bores and pistons were perfect, so I am confident there is no problem there. How the air is either getting in the system or how all the air is not being expelled by bleeding is a mystery to me at the moment. Thanks again anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts