VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Formerly known as charliesteff
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all.

I just bought my first T4 caravelle a couple of weeks ago and just wondering about central locking / remotes.

Thing is all the doors use the same key except the sliding door and petrol cap that have a different key. Now I have to unlock all the doors / tailgate separately, but if I unlock the N/S front door it sounds like it is unlocking the slidning door but does not. could anyone tell me the following:

1. Should the caravelle have central locking?
2. Should there be a remote?
3. Should it have central locking anyone give me any ideas to why it does not work?

Cheers guys
Charlie

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
1. GL's did, CL's didn't
2. key operated
3. the newness has worn off

I guess the locks have been replaced in part in the past?

new acuators are not expensive, the wiring is all in place, that wiring may over time have deteriorated where it passes through the door bellows and need repairing

have a go at it - once the door panels are off, if needs be, a tailored aftermarket kit can be bought and is not difficult to fit T:

plenty of threads here about ECL, and a couple of suppliers who can supply kits and upgrade and tie in your alarm system

enjoy that 'velle !

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I've got a Caravelle Club Eight factory special edition. It's badged as a GL.

Has central locking, NOT remote. Operates on the two front doors only and it's a single slider.

The tailgate is a bit odd. Lent my Velle to my brother one time and told him if he wanted to lock or unlock the tailgate, then insert the key in one of the front doors. Of course the inevitable happened. Just wanted something out of the boot and he tried to open the tailgate by inserting the key into the lock and turning the key:- FORCEFULLY!

The key in the tailgate just disables the lock mechanism with a no-pressure part turn. When the mechanism is engaged it opens by pulling on the flappy bit underneath the handle.

Now my question is this.... Why oh why do people do the opposite of what you tell them? Oh I only had the van six years at the time and he had it for less than twenty four hours.. Rant over.

BTW my '95 Velle will be up for sale as soon as I have a year's MoT on it.
Early enquiries welcome.

·
Formerly known as charliesteff
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool cheers for the replys, on a different note. How do i know if mines a gl cl etc as it just says caravelle on the van & logbook?

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
Now my question is this.... Why oh why do people do the opposite of what you tell them? Oh I only had the van six years at the time and he had it for less than twenty four hours.. Rant over.

it's been proven that the brain doesn't put any emphasis on the word "don't" when it hears it.......

.......... don't think about chocolate :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would have thought one easy way to tell if it has central locking is to look for a contact plate on the door to b pillar surely on the sliding door?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've got a Caravelle Club Eight factory special edition. It's badged as a GL.

Has central locking, NOT remote. Operates on the two front doors only and it's a single slider.

The tailgate is a bit odd. Lent my Velle to my brother one time and told him if he wanted to lock or unlock the tailgate, then insert the key in one of the front doors. Of course the inevitable happened. Just wanted something out of the boot and he tried to open the tailgate by inserting the key into the lock and turning the key:- FORCEFULLY!

The key in the tailgate just disables the lock mechanism with a no-pressure part turn. When the mechanism is engaged it opens by pulling on the flappy bit underneath the handle.

BTW my '95 Velle will be up for sale as soon as I have a year's MoT on it.
Early enquiries welcome.
It looks like the same has happened on my latest buy, you can hear it lock and unlock but the handle is floppy. I haven't had time to take the card off yet, can you give me some advice of what to look for please

·
Registered
582 Posts
It looks like the same has happened on my latest buy, you can hear it lock and unlock but the handle is floppy. I haven't had time to take the card off yet, can you give me some advice of what to look for please
Linden, are you saying that your central locking on your tailgate is not working or are you talking about one of the other doors as I'm not clear which handle it is that you are talking about.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi Paul, it's the tail gate, the outside handle is floppy (no feeling that it's engaged) you can hear the motor operate to lock and unlock but the only way to open it is from inside. I must strip the board off and take a look but with so many other jobs on the go it's not top of the list except when I want to get some 8 by 4 sheets in.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Don't take the door card off just yet.

I am presuming you don't have a manual. So after a brief introduction I will quote from the manual, (Controls and Equipment Section).

The key slot can be horizontal or vertical. To change from horizontal Position A, to vertical, give it a quarter turn to upright position, going clockwise. (Position B). A further quarter turn to the right brings it to Position C.

Tailgate: If the key is withdrawn in the horizontal position (a), the tailgate, once closed, again becomes controlled by the central locking system.
When the key is withdrawn in the vertical position (b), the tailgate will be permanently locked. It can then only be unlocked with the key.
To unlock the tailgate insert key and turn it to the right to the stop (c). hold in this position and operate door handle.

Simples!
What is happening is that when you turn the key there is a little spud which swings away from the various linkages so that the handle becomes floppy.
There is more stuff in the manual. If you want it then PM your email, don't post it here, and I will scan and send the pages.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I believe that might be slightly wrong and actually operate the other way round to what Perkins is saying. When the lock is in the horizontal position, you can operate the lock normally via the handle and applying pressure to the release lever, the tailgate opens as the lock is disengaged. In this mode, the tailgate does not lock or unlock via the central locking electrics.

When the lock is in the vertical position, the tailgate is locked and can't be opened from the external lever and it appears to be floppy because the unlock mechanism is disengaged. However, in this mode, the central locking can be operated on the tailgate. With the van locked on the central locking system, the rear tailgate will not open. When unlocked via the central locking (and despite the lock being in the locked position) the tailgate will open via the central locking system. This is achieved via a small microswitch attached to the locking mechanism. The microswitch can only be activated with the lock position in the vertical and the central locking unlocked. By pressing the lever, it makes the microswitch which in turn activates the tailgate lock release solenoid to open the tailgate.

Please note that there is no automatic release of the tailgate lock, the only time the tailgate will unlock is via the pressing of the tailgate open lever (when in the floppy position) and the central locking being unlocked to the main vehicle.

If you have a problem and it sounds like the solenoid is trying to release but doesn't seem to have enough power to do so, you may have a weak earth path to the tailgate. This is a common problem and can easily be rectified. The easiest way I've found is to take an additional earth cable from the drivers side rear light cluster, there's an earthing bolt at this location. Run a cable up the side of the van and out through the rubber gaiter linking the main body with the tailgate in the top drivers side corner of the tailgate. Run the cable through the gaiter and down the tailgate and provide an earth to your mechanism solenoid there. Hopefully you will will then find yourself with a working lock once more.

Here's a few pictures of how it should look complete with the retrofit instructions for the tailgate lock fitting to give you a better idea of everything:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts