VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My T4 has failed its MOT and I'm looking for help in making a decision on its future. It'll be £450 to repair (welding required around wheel arches, new CV boots and replacement coil spring), and I'll need to know what sort of money it would be likely to fetch once it's repaired, to help decide whether it's worth having the work done.

It's a white 1996 SWB 1.9 non-turbo diesel with 268K on the clock. There's a small coolant leak that I've been managing, which I've been told will cost £200ish to correct. It has surface rust and it's a bit untidy in the cab, with a section of foam worn away on the driver's seat from getting in and out. The passenger door lock also needs replacement. In the back there's a fold-down plywood bed and mattress that's a bit Heath Robinson but effective and comfortable. I don't have any recent photos of the van, sorry.

My three routes are to scrap it, sell it for spares/repair or have it repaired to sell it on. I've had the van for 11 years and would rather it lived on past my time, but have to make a sound financial decision too. Any advice on likely future values in its current and repaired state would be very welcome.

Thanks for your time.
Tony

·
Registered
423 Posts
scrap spares/repairs are prob not to far off each other, unless you have some sought after parts to sell from the van that people see value in...?
With covid19 this season of van being used for fun times may be very limited at best, so works both ways -gives you plenty of time to maybe fix the van up, but that no one may want buy until next year...?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I decided before all the Covid to repair it and have another summer with the van. Hopefully we'll get one eventually!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts