VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I've gotten the van out of storage, and given it some care and attention.

I discovered that my Omnivent wasn't working, so I stripped the whole thing down for a good clean and check out. I've managed to get it working again, except it will only blow air into the van. If the red switch (2-position that controls direction) is put in the other position, the fan doesn't come on. All other controls (on/off, temperature dial and fan speed dial) seem to be working fine. This red direction switch has 3 pairs (so six) points on the back. 4 are fitted with external wires leading elsewhere. The other two only have wire leading to the other points on the switch.

Could the switch fail in such a way that only one position works? If I swapped round the bayonet fittings could this make it work in the other direction only? I like to use it as an extractor fan for the stove, so if it can only work in one manner, the one it is not currently working in is what I would like!

Many opinions or advice on these fan electrics would be appreciated. I will probably do the swap of wires, but I though I might ask on here first in case.

Cheers,

J

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,520 Posts
I don't know the specific unit, but given that it's a simple DC motor for the fan, to reverse direction you simply swap the + and - wires over.
That is what the switch will be doing.
Chances are one set of contacts is either dirty or worn out.

I have exactly the same problem with the ceiling fan in our bedroom....problem is, it's not easy to get down, the whole thing has a S/S case (that needs removing to get to the 2 screws holding the switch!).
Same style switch though....2 poles, 2 way switching.....the action simply reverses the + and - power to the motor.
If you have access to the motor, simply swap the wires on it to test.

You could try squirting contact cleaner (NOT WD40) into the switch...if possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you’re spot on. I’ve stripped the switch down, but can’t see any obvious poor connection. Although there was a dead spider in it! Trying to clean up all the contacts now...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed it. It seems to have been poor connection in the 'on/off' switch and worse in the 'direction' switch. Stripping down both switches and giving the the contacts a scrub seems to have solved the problem. I have now stripped down the whole fan assembly and put it back together, so if anyone has any questions at that level, get in touch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts