VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1998 1.9TD VWT4 EGR BLANKING

Hi folks after a lot of searching I have been unable to locate photos of the 1.9td egr blanking procedure, so in an attempt to find out myself and also for other people who may be looking to do the same thing I have created this thread.

I purchased the egr blanking plate off ebay for a fiver, I now need to know where to fit it. Pictured below is the EGR valve, the silver pipe being the hot pipe , ie hot exhaust gas gets sucked up here and put back through the system.

Picture one EGR assembly.

After identifying the EGR assembly and looking at the shape of the blanking plate, I am unsure as to where to fit the gasket/blanking plate, so folks hands on your buzzers here goes,

Is it A, picture number two?

Is it B, picture number three?

Is it C, picture number four?

Or D, none of the above?

Cheers folks all feedback/corrections appreciated, I will update this with more photos as I carry out the procedure as soon as one of you kind folks identify the correct bit to stick the plate, cheers!T:

Ok so no definitive answer to be found here !!

Cheers folks , so decided to get the tools out and have a go.

I used a ratchet and 6mm hex bit, undid the two bolts at position A picture 2 and guess what , blocking plate no fit here!!
So screwed bolts back in and began removing bolts at position B picture 3 .1st bolt came out fine 2nd got snagged on a line, so out came the 1st couple o bolts to give me some movement , bolt then came out fine. Blanking plate fitted here no dramas. Didn’t do any cleaning just gonna let it do itself.
Nipped everything back up and went for a spin,
I honestly believe there is a difference now, it seems to have slightly better acceleration and my top end was faster (drove home from Scotland few days ago chased another t4 for prolonged period including downhill and only reached 85, I was loaded mind with wife kid and dog) reached 92mph and was still accelerating but had to break for slip road.

Is it psychological, I don’t know but for a fiver and a few minutes(literally) im happy as larry.

To reiterate the blanking plate I purchased off ebay for a fiver fitted at location B photograph 3.

some phots of job

blanking plate , tools, nuts loosened

clag in egr

plate fitted in correct location, i think.

·
Banned
212 Posts
fair doos u have confused the ass out of me the blanking plate to be fitted between the manifold and the egr valve
many thanks

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Alternatively, get rid of the entire piece of junk that you're blocking off, put a plate in 'A', another in 'C' and a screw to blank off the pipe that comes off the little black box of tricks up by the expansion tank - job jobbed! I:

:)

·
Registered
643 Posts
put my blank plate in the picture A position and appears to work fine.

not a ebay one but a flat peice of galvanised plate cut to fit between the studs - cost £0.00 and 5 mins with the tin snips. left everything else connected and seems to have had an immeadiate effect.

·
Banned
212 Posts
hi all u can acually romve the whole assembly snd blank off either end and seal the vacume tube with a bolt as mentioned the plate that is sold on ebay is designed to fit between the manifold and the egr valve it has been done cotrrectly
thanks pete

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
EGR= Exhaust gas recirculation. It takes some exhaust gases and throws them back into the engine. It basically cuts down the smaoke but I was told that they do very little in terms of emissions after the first 10k miles so can be disconnected.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just done this and it was pretty much the messiest thing I've ever done! Black scag everywhere! I highly recommend investing in a washing up bowl and a can of carb spray to do the cleaning. My plan of using some powerful solvents from the lab and bog roll turned out to be pretty weak, despite having plenty of disposable gloves.

Anyway, I put plates in at positions B & C from BaileyBridger's photos, disconnected the vaccum line that goes to the widget by the expansion tank and put a screw in the end to blank it, bolted her all back up again and then headed out for a test drive. From a cold start the pick up was much better than it had been. Very smooth and certainly felt like there was a bit more ooomph under my foot! Am really happy with my £10 investment and would like to thank GazzaGee for supplying the blanking plates.

Word.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
That black gunk is the work of satin, Its a carcinogenic so double bag.. i.e wear gloves and dont go licking it out, use an old toothbrush or a stickI: A carinogenic is a cancer causing substance, so no smoking either:D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts