VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I'm looking forward to reading your intercooler fitting experience. I have bought one like yours, also to go in my TD, an 800 special. So far I've not done the EGR mod. I was planning on doing the whole job in one go, but hadn't worked out the route for the piping yet.
It all looks a bit tight, so doing something to the manifold sounds a sensible thing to do. It may be beyond my competence to do that though - depending on what you do/how you do it.
I will do a post with all the bits you will need to fit it on a 1.9 td mate it is a bit tight
but it looks like with a new inlet on the manifold it will work well i am trying to keep the pipes as short as possible.

I hope to spend a bit of time making the rest of the brackets this weekend T:

Toad :ILU:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Toad, I want to fir that same intercooler to my TD eventually. What are you doing to ensure you get good airflow to it? I understand the 102 TDIs have ducting from the grill to the IC. Did you get a fan with your mitzy IC? Apparently they do a good job of sucking air over them. I was thinking about an air scoop in the bonner to feed it. Not sure if anyone's done this before. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Hi Toad, I want to fir that same intercooler to my TD eventually. What are you doing to ensure you get good airflow to it? I understand the 102 TDIs have ducting from the grill to the IC. Did you get a fan with your mitzy IC? Apparently they do a good job of sucking air over them. I was thinking about an air scoop in the bonner to feed it. Not sure if anyone's done this before. What do you think?
Hi chris the only way i can see to get better air flow from the intercooler to the inlet manifold is to make a new inlet as the inlet manifold on a 1.9td is in two parts it can be done with a bit of work.
The pic below is of the top part of the inlet the one i am making will bring the pipe fitting out over the rocker cover instead of out to the left.

Here's a pic of the part on the van.

The inter cooler will mount like this and as you can see the pipe on the left the inlet from the turbo will run in with 1 bend and the out let will also have 1 bend.

as for the ducting i have the bits on order from vw so it will have the same as the 102 TDi just need to remove some padding from under the bonnet and replace the plastic blank over the intercooler .
I have got rid of the fan if vw don't fit them on the TDi i don't need it on a TD i will fit the cover back on the intercooler just need to cut it about a bit .

I am working on the van in the morning will get lots of pics and then i can do a thread on fitting the intercooler with all the bits you will need to buy or make T:

Tony

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I got my intercooler fitted to the van today :D here's a pic of the new inlet top.

Here's a look at how it is looking.

Tony

·
Registered
723 Posts
Took advantage of the weather to finally fit a blanking plate provided by Autobeds, fitted it in position B. Thanks for the guide very informative for an amateur such as myself.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm in the process of blanking the EGR valve on my 1.9TD now.

Just to make sure, which end of the black tube do I plug?.:confused:

Is it the piece of tube sticking out of the EGR valve, the piece of tube near the water reservoir or both?.

Thank You

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well decided to do this and will hopefully see an improvement. Went for a blank plate as in pic 3 point B. Did clean some of the clag out but didnt really see the point in going to town as its been blanked??? And there seemed to be just as much gunk in the bit people say dont clean down towards the manifold??

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have been out today and was sceptical about this but hell yeah it works. OK lets not get overwhelmed with dreams of huge" push you to the back of the seat" acceleration but it has definately improved the pick up of the way it fuels. Before if I slowed down to below 20 mph in 3rd I would probably have to change down to 2nd but it just seems to pull away more efficiently, the same applies to coming to a stop in 2nd would mean the van could chug but now it seems to pull better there also.

Then in top on a dual carriage way I use, the minute you pull from sliproad to carriageway it turns to incline and the van before just seemed to lump along at 40 with no gain in speed until you were at the top of the hill.... but no it accelerated... well all 68 angry horses moved better !!
Noticable improvement

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just done mine too, bought a 4mm blank off ebay went to put it inand the metal pipe wouldn't bend enough to get bolts back in, so copied a piece out of 3mm steel and blanked both ends off, took the pipe and valve thingy off alltogether, took it down duel carriage way a444 near me and yep i'm impressed with the difference, its good cheap and works, had my van 2 years and wished I did it when I first got it, thanks for all the pics and advice.A:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I made and fitted some blanking plates from some 4mm aluminium plate I had, the inside of the EGR was solid with thick black gunge that seems to get everywhere!! cant say I notice any difference when driving though!

·
Registered
25 Posts
got me sell a t4 1.9 TD the other month and did this mod at the w/e wow how easy !!!!! only small prob i had was that i bought the blankin plates and they fit at to bottom of the "silver pipe" but when i tried to take ALL the parts off (as suggested above) the blankin plate didnt fit on the joint goin to the engine so i had to take off the silver pipe ONLY and blank either ends ... it was an easy fix really all i wud have needed to do was to file one of the holes and elongate it but i didnt have a file / drill to hand to do the job ....... it will be done at the w/e as i think it looks better ...... and people were not jokin about the black sh*t in there i didnt take note of this and got it EVERYWHERE an it is still in me nails as i type this reply ha ha ha so take heed it is horrible black sh*t !!!!!!! ordered my intercooler (L200) that shud be comin this week so i will have a go at fittin that as well then the fuel / turbo adjustment ........ by the way i beleive there is some extra power after removin the pipe ... and im sure its not psycological ha ha ha .... just thought id mention the above to anyone that is lookin at doin this mod .. GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!! next thing for me to look into it vegi oil runnin of me van !!!!!! anyone got any info / comments / advice for this one ??? can i get some used oil / do i have to filter it and to wot level of filtering etc etc cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
So T4Toad, you've got the same set up as my van, but you've removed the whole EGR bit. I'm going to leave it on I think but wouldn't mind giving it a clean. I can see you've blanked off two bits there. One in the centre of the picture and the other on the right of the picture.

At the moment mine blanks off in the middle of those two, which someone said was OK. But can you explain from that picture which bit is the manifold? Is it the middle of the picture or the right?

Hey Revell,
Have heard, somewhere else on here, that blanking the middle of the EGR circuit will still allow the gases to enter the circuit and are at pressure.
Unless someone can correct me I:

Pat.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Man.......this is frustrating, none of the foto's show up.......just some rubbish about updating my account. Any ideas folks?
It's not really your account that needs updating mate, its the photo bucket account of the OP who posted the pics.This is a known issue with photobucket changing their T's & C's, you'll see lots of forum posts coming up with the same thing. If you use Google Chrome as your browser you can use this extension to see the images.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

41 - 55 of 55 Posts