VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good? I have seen the perfect van to start my business with but I have never owned an auto! What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
776 Posts
The Auto has a lever that you move to select drive and away you go, It also has a reverse and Neutral, the manual has a floppy gear lever between the seats that you can play with when driving and has a much more Macho image but I'm not sure why.

If you use the Search feature you will find plenty of info on the good and bad ponts of owning both Auto's and Manuals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Auto has a lever that you move to select drive and away you go, It also has a reverse and Neutral, the manual has a floppy gear lever between the seats that you can play with when driving and has a much more Macho image but I'm not sure why.

If you use the Search feature you will find plenty of info on the good and bad ponts of owning both Auto's and Manuals.
Thanks for your reply :) I am aware of how the auto box works, I have worked as a paint sprayer for several years, so I have driven many auto's and manual's as well as my Farthers Golf is Automatic. I wanted to know if that particular engine has a strong and reliable box, and weather it would be advisable to use a Transporter with a Auto box as a work vehicle...........

·
Registered
308 Posts
if you are prepared to take a gamble go for auto... i have had 2 auto's and both have been a problem and they cost a fortune to repare . I have brought a manual now as a donor so i can have my auto converted, well impresed with economy 42mpg thats an extra 9 mpg, so if your doing a lot of miles, dont touch the auto!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So manual gearboxes tend to give better MPG as well? I seem to be getting mixed results opinion wise lol! Did you undertake the gearbox conversion yourself?

I'm swaying away from the Auto to be honest......

·
Registered
518 Posts
So manual gearboxes tend to give better MPG as well? I seem to be getting mixed results opinion wise lol! Did you undertake the gearbox conversion yourself?

I'm swaying away from the Auto to be honest......
no dont sway away from autos,ok less mpg,but once driven you wont want to go back to primative manual.if you do have trouble with auto box they cost simular to manual with those modern fly wheels type motors.

·
Registered
308 Posts
will try and get a mate to help me!...Yes auto.s are nice to drive i agree and if i could get my box mended and have a100.000 mile garauntee for less then £1500 i would jump at it, i think unless you've had an issue then natuaraly your going to say there great! just read through the many posts on here E.G Another auto problem/ auto to manual/help/suicide.T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts