VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My worst nightmare came true at the weekend and the transmission gave up. :cool:

The bus has done about 115k and the trans has been dodgy for a couple of years but kept it going by topping up the fluid each year. It changes up first to second gear no problem but slips when in third, I had to drive at 25mph the last few miles to the beach at the weekend just to make it!

Does anyone have any advice before I start phoning garages? I have read that some people changed over to a manual gear box-don't think I can afford that though-might be parked on the road for a while!! :ILU:

Thanks in advance!

Al

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 94 lwb 2.4. i have bought a replacement second hand and fitted it myself. it cost me about £370 delivered.although the new gearbox was from a 97 it did fit but was not an easy swap as the driveshaft to the drivers side had a different mounting to the engine,ebay £25 sorted that after taking a chance on it fitting.
I have had 2 autos and both needed changing, the first a 2.5tdi cost me £2.600 from vw fitted and this one.
Changing the box on yours yourself depends on your capability and tools you have available, eg engine crane,jacks,toolkit ect. And frendly help of course.
If you need any advice on do it yourself give me a shout on here or phone 07870 138302 and i will try to help and guide you through it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advice Jerry,

My capability is limited at best! Looks like I am in for a healthy bill from the garage.

Was the £2600 VW one new or reconditioned??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts