VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to get the T4 MOTd.
It failed due to a rear coil spring which had broken on the bottom coil... and the handbrake cable under the centre of the van is pretty threadbare (as in half thickness) and has some strands hanging off.

Went to GSF but they dont have the right bit :( so I ended up getting a new cable section that makes the Y shape to each rear wheel (from GSF) seeing as I will be redoing the mechanism anyway.

But I now need to buy the main cable section that runs underneath the van.
ive got it down as PN 701 711 476 - is there anywhere else that sells them except VW? and does anyone have an idea of price?

it works perfectly which is a real PITA as I have heard they can be a PITA to setup right I:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Just had to get the T4 MOTd.
It failed due to a rear coil spring which had broken on the bottom coil... and the handbrake cable under the centre of the van is pretty threadbare (as in half thickness) and has some strands hanging off.

Went to GSF but they dont have the right bit :( so I ended up getting a new cable section that makes the Y shape to each rear wheel (from GSF) seeing as I will be redoing the mechanism anyway.

But I now need to buy the main cable section that runs underneath the van.
ive got it down as PN 701 711 476 - is there anywhere else that sells them except VW? and does anyone have an idea of price?

it works perfectly which is a real PITA as I have heard they can be a PITA to setup right I:
hi mine failed on same i got the cable from front to middle and it only cost 15 quid from main dealer cheap as chipsT:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
dead easy undo 10 mm nut at adjuster unhook spring remove lever cover and unhook cable refitting is just the reverse done mine last nite about a hour tops

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dead easy undo 10 mm nut at adjuster unhook spring remove lever cover and unhook cable refitting is just the reverse done mine last nite about a hour tops
Cheers mate T:
Just discovered the spring is broken on mine.... Im guessing its not crucial as the handbrake has worked fine without it..??

Going to have to get one from VW tomorrow before swapping the new cable in :*

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well what a b*mmer.

Took the old handbrake cable off. Compared it with the new one, and the new one is about 6 inches too long :*

Also, the attachment lug where it connects to the handbrake is a circular hole in a teardrop shaped cast bit...and it wont stay connected to the handrake SA in any case.

The old lug is a larger, square holed affair that fits right on to the metal loop on the handbrake..Well annoyed I:

Got to ring VAG tomorrow and see what the crack is... but has anyone else had this?????

Has the style of mid section cable changed between models? (and Ive got the wrong one?) or?......

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
hi again i used a cable tie on the hook part not the cable it works fine and stops it coming off .....just put it on handbrake and then cable tie in front of it to stop it commin off

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All done!
Got the new cable (prefixed A at the end of the PN) and it was a perfect match for the old one.
As others have said, a fast and easy job compared to some I have had to do on the old bus :*

Thanks for the info T:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts