VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post!
I've had my caravelle for about 8 months and after about 6 it developed an occasional judder at 1500-1800rpm. Tends to be when theres no real demand on the engine (not accelerating hard or uphill) that lasts a couple of secs. Can stop it by taking my foot off the gas or putting my foot down. Just cleaned the EGR and seemed in good working condition, which is what the garage said it was. Could it be the vacuum that controls this? How to i test it?
Any other ideas?!
Cheers!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Tourque Converter I am afraid. I have had the same problem and forked out for a gearbox rebuild with new tourque converter and clutchs for the eye watering sum of around £2,000 including vat earlier this year. I lived with the problem for the best part of 3 years pior to this; the problem gradually got worse over time, normally around the 50mph speed bracket on the upchange to top gear.

There are some treads on the forum from other Auto users.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So having done nothing, the box has now died...:(

After a couple of call i think i have 3 options:

1. (Bristol Transmissions) Full recondition, including new ecu and valve body £3000 all in with 12month warranty. He said that they need to do the ECU nad valve body otherwise it wouldnt last more that 8 or so months as these were part of the root of the problem. Anyone got any experience of this? How does the price sound?

2. (Barnes T4 (or similar nr bristol?)) Manual Conversion for £2200 all in. This guys said even with the ECu and valve body, it wouldnt last as it was a box to start with and after market parts wouldnt last. He thought a manual would last longer. How long might this last? Experience of conversions?

3. Buy a 2nd hand box and get it fitted on the cheap about £1250 including fitting depending on what i can find. How long might this last? Is this ever worth it?

Any other decent options worth exploring? :confused:

I bought it for £4500 and the rest is in good condition - is it worth anything as it is?

As always any help / advice massively appreciated

·
Registered
20 Posts
any answers to this thread? I'm in the same boat :(
much appreciated......

So having done nothing, the box has now died...

After a couple of call i think i have 3 options:

1. (Bristol Transmissions) Full recondition, including new ecu and valve body £3000 all in with 12month warranty. He said that they need to do the ECU nad valve body otherwise it wouldnt last more that 8 or so months as these were part of the root of the problem. Anyone got any experience of this? How does the price sound?

2. (Barnes T4 (or similar nr bristol?)) Manual Conversion for £2200 all in. This guys said even with the ECu and valve body, it wouldnt last as it was a box to start with and after market parts wouldnt last. He thought a manual would last longer. How long might this last? Experience of conversions?

3. Buy a 2nd hand box and get it fitted on the cheap about £1250 including fitting depending on what i can find. How long might this last? Is this ever worth it?

Any other decent options worth exploring?

I bought it for £4500 and the rest is in good condition - is it worth anything as it is?

As always any help / advice massively appreciated

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I was quoted the same from Bristol Transmissions. A place in Gloucester - Autotrans quoted around £1750 + vat. They seem to know their stuff and have been recommended on here before. Having had a partial rebuild before I wouldn't do anything other than the full recon which I think is on the horizon!

·
Registered
116 Posts
The T4 auto box has a bad reputation which I think is undeserved. Yes it breaks, as will anything mechanical but it is the difficulty in repairing it that seems to have translated into it being labelled as a bad box. I’ve been in and out of a number of auto repairers now to see that all manufacturers are represented with many vehicles much younger than the T4.

My experience with my T4 is that I have spent loads of money with one company doing two recons, external cooler, new ECU and many other things to no avail, and it just kept breaking. The last thing they said was they just didn’t know what to do next and then they went into liquidation so the warranty was void (though they did start up again with a slightly different name)

And so after some research I found E J Rose who had lots of experience (30 years+) and in the end knew what they were doing. When taking the box apart it was apparent it was never repaired properly (parts were missing) so they reconditioned it for £1450 +VAT and it’s been like new ever since. They did admit it’s not an easy box to repair, but it can be done.

Just to add I’ve had my T4 since new and for the first 10 years the auto box was great and in retrospect I should have done the research then took it in to be looked at as soon as I noticed an issue. But I left it too long then took to the first place I found, my costly mistake.

So my advice is to get a good recon and you’ll be happy. This of course may not be as easy as it sounds (it wasn't in my case)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.