VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Can anybody tell me where my TCU is in the engine bay? On the NSF under battery cover maybe? How do I identify the thing?

Thanks, Rob

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
If it the TCU transmission control unit its located in the passenger footwell behind the carpet at the bonnet realese handle.
?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
They are prone to water ingress if you windscreen isnt sealing properly
Happened to my old T4 velle quite common apparently.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are prone to water ingress if you windscreen isnt sealing properly
Happened to my old T4 velle quite common apparently.
OK so thanks for the heads up on location of TCU. Have had a look and footwell is covered in a rubber factory fitted flooring. Lifted it from door rim and nothing but metal wheel arch as far as I can see. My van is a long nose so maybe somewhere else?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Look higher up.
It's about the same height as the fusebox (on LHD van)....but should be on your passenger side.
"Black box" if I remember correctly (which is rare!).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look higher up.
It's about the same height as the fusebox (on LHD van)....but should be on your passenger side.
"Black box" if I remember correctly (which is rare!).
Thank you, again I'll take a look on NSF passenger side at or below bottom of glovebox.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
It's just above the wheel-arch, in the perfect place for any water leaks from the windscreen to find! (Easier for water to find it than you..LOL)o_O
They moved the fuse-box for RHD vehicles, but the ECU and TCU stayed in the same place...hence the MAJOR problem of the ECU loom going over the engine from one side to the other vibrating and failing!! :eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's just above the wheel-arch, in the perfect place for any water leaks from the windscreen to find! (Easier for water to find it than you..LOL)o_O
They moved the fuse-box for RHD vehicles, but the ECU and TCU stayed in the same place...hence the MAJOR problem of the ECU loom going over the engine from one side to the other vibrating and failing!! :eek:
Found it where you said it would be! Thanks a lot! So just for future reference, but hopefully not for work, is the engine ECU in engine bay NSF below battery cover and mounted in front of the battery please? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
You are totally right, the gearbox ecu should be high and dry, it wont tell you much without plugging in the code reader, do you suspect a fault

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Found it where you said it would be! Thanks a lot! So just for future reference, but hopefully not for work, is the engine ECU in engine bay NSF below battery cover and mounted in front of the battery please? Thanks again!
Yes, and that one's silver/grey/corroded ally colour. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are totally right, the gearbox ecu should be high and dry, it wont tell you much without plugging in the code reader, do you suspect a fault
No don't think it's the TCU. Fierce judder on accelerating from stationary, slipping at speed and when accelerating plus can't get up our local steep hill. Sudden onset. Knacker's yard here we come. Maybe!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Judder on takeup can be torque converter, plus quite a few other things, you need to use reader to identify the main cause
Torque converter can be replaced or reconditioned, valves can be burnt and heat damaged but so can oil, filter can need replacement, although all this sounds bad, sometimes luck is on your side and oil and filter and remove fault codes, but knowing the faults that ha e been logged is the first step, get a lead of Ebay and and a copy of Vagcom plus a laptop, or get someone else do read codes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Judder on takeup can be torque converter, plus quite a few other things, you need to use reader to identify the main cause
Torque converter can be replaced or reconditioned, valves can be burnt and heat damaged but so can oil, filter can need replacement, although all this sounds bad, sometimes luck is on your side and oil and filter and remove fault codes, but knowing the faults that ha e been logged is the first step, get a lead of Ebay and and a copy of Vagcom plus a laptop, or get someone else do read codes.
Thank you for that. Rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts