VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, 1999 Rhd multivan in dark metallic green with less than 60k on clock. Full and documented vw history, all mot's and tax disks, new tyres and mot. Body is rust free and paint unblemished. Interior looks factory fresh. For sale by the original owner. Tow bar fitted, original multivan curtains included.

I spotted this for sale and am very tempted to grab with both hands, however the seller I'd asking £13k?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.T:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Nice looking van (though doesn't look Dragon Green in the photos, seem much darker?), seems to be in tip top condition, very low mileage, plenty of service history (check when the cambelt was done), its a Multivan (and RHD) - so should be very sought after T:

It is nevertheless a hefty price tag for a 16 year old van (I know that 1960's splitties go for much more :jd).

But is this what you want? What are you going to use it for? You can get a very nice, and well equipped camper for that sort of money :dunno:

Or (perish the thought!) you could go for a T5? :eek:

At the end of the day if you want it, and the seller wants to sell it, then I'm sure you will find an agreeable middle ground - good luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Cheers Guys, it does look tidy and yes it is a lot of money.

What I'm looking for is a 6/ 7 seater day van come occasional overnight sleeper.

We have 4 small kids and when we all go away we do so in a large caravan which is a PITA to get out of storeage and prep etc.

A multivan or somthing like it would allow me to quickly escape with the older 2 kids at short notice for mountain biking and forest adventures. We also need a 6 or 7 seat vehicle once or twice a month when we are traveling to visit friends and family.

Because the multivan will not be used as a daily driver, the planned maximum mileage 2-3k per year. So in a few years time the van would still be a low mileage van with only two owners. With any luck the depreciation would be minimal just leaving serviceing and maintainamce costs to bare.

So, I'm looking for a truly multipurpose vehicle, any advice will be very much appreciated.T:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I looks like Ocean Green pearl. Top colour that :)

It's very low in the miles - about 60 miles p/wk since new? That could be a curse or a blessing depending on how it's been driven and stored - little short runs with no layup, or longer runs with long layups between? Do you want something you can use or something you want to store away and polish?

This was up for less than half the price... still wont lose any money...

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=424955

·
Registered
532 Posts
They are amazing bits of kit, they hold value and you probably will not find one better than that.

It's worth what somebody is willing to pay, however 13k still seems 3k too much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I struggled to sell my Multivan a couple of years ago - it was a clean example, highish (200k) miles, but with £3000 of recent bills and in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. It was only sold because I'd been in an accident in another car and ABS brakes and airbags saved my life. I vowed I would never carry my family in a vehicle without them...

They are brilliantly versatile vehicles, and a good compromise as a daily driver - I certainly regret selling mine, but my next vehicle will be a safe, modern, practical day van.

Lots of people love these Multivans but not many are prepared to pay the premium - mine eventually sold for £3500 and a high miles Mondeo diesel as a p/ex - well away from some of the figures spoken about. The best cash offer I had was £4600. These are old buses now, and not many will have unblemished coachwork, but this example could well be the best around, and the highest price too!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ridiculous price, but the way things are you could probably run it for a couple of years then sell up without losing any ££. Thing is, it's not really that versatile, is it? You'd need an awning to do anything approaching proper camping.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well that's immaculate. But why would you want it? If you want something for MTB's & kids etc you will crucify the kids every time they damage it, I got a clean old Caravelle a few years back for 3 grand, rust free. With the middle row out I can carry 5 MTB's & 5 people, easy mod to turn the seats into a huge bed platform & yes we do take care of it and like you intend to do, ours is also used less than 4k a year but when used we pile bikes in it, cooker pod, kayaks, sleap in it, or use it as a van with all the seats out.

Keep it simple & you will get more out of it than having a museum piece.

Plenty of pics in my album of what you can do for not much money.

·
Banned
10,253 Posts
Ridiculous price! Thing is, it's not really that versatile, is it?
It is a rediculous price I agree but buying a multivan was the worst thing I've done because I've been tempted by lots of other motors but can't sell this damn thing as it's just too good. It does everything and more and is the most versatile motor I've ever owned.. 12 foot posts in the back today, yesterday went to collect a cabinet, seller was delayed so in the back, feet up, diesel heater on and bobs your uncle.. T:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies and sage like advice.A:

Zumerset taxi, you have hit the nail on the head. I might well be poised to ruin a museum piece and crucify my kids! Lol I may well be better off with a similar approach to you, mountain bikes and all.

Once again cheers everyone!T:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts