VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new owner here, please can you tell me if there is just one auto box that fits the 2.5tdi or are there a few?
Do i need to replace with the same unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi all, new owner here, please can you tell me if there is just one auto box that fits the 2.5tdi or are there a few?

Thanks
I'd replace it with a manual box. The autos are prone to overheating. What's wrong with it?

Costs would be similar to go either way.

Try cali campers in hampshire.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts

Thanks
There are only two types the "Early" or the "Late" type. The most obvious difference is the early has a dipstick & 4 bolts holding the oil sump on. The later has only a filler tube & 5 bolts on the sump and a different pendulum lower mount. Most problems come from degraded oil or previous numpty owners who stick additives in or the wrong kind of oil. Also VW told people not to change the oil it was supposedly filled for life. If you decide to stick with the auto I'd recommend fitting a cooling radiator & get rid of the daft cooler VW supplied to prevent further oil degradation.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,180 Posts
Problem with "filled for life" is that unless it IS changed regular, "life" is usually less than 100,000km.

Another difference between early and late, is the later ones have a lockup in 4th.
You need the correct TCU to go with the 'box too.

I think '97/'98 was the changeover time....but obviously depends on when built or registered (and which country!).

The auto is a dream if maintained properly...there's no way I'd go to a manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts