VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - We're looking at buying a VW T4 / T5 camper for around the £10k mark. We're new to campers after having enough of pitching tents in pouring rain and darkness! Having viewed many adds on eBay, Gumtree and on this site, there's such a wide variety of vehicle out there so we're finding it difficult to know what we should be looking for.

Are we best buying something a little older (2000/2001 era) which has been well looked after with moderate mileage around 100/120k, or something newer (2005/06) which has done higher mileage?

At the moment we're considering a lovely 2006 T30 130 Tdi which has done 156,000. The van was restricted with a VW limiter for the first 149,000 miles, and has a full service history. Would you be concerned about this mileage or are these vehicles expected to go for 250k+ miles?

Many thanks for your assistance, two novices are greatly appreciative!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would have thought you could get lower mileage than that for 10k. The problem with higher mileages is that it will always put off a potential buyer when you come to sell it on and if you're using it as a daily driver the mileage is going to keep racking up.
I would say go for the newest, lowest mileage van you can find with a decent history. Be prepared to wait for the right one to come along and it probably will, there's plenty out there.
Always do a HPI check or similar and think about getting a pre-purchase inspection carried out so you know exactly what you're dealing with, it's well worth the £100 or so.
I bought a 2008 1.9 TDI SWB, full history, elec pack and aircon with 70k miles on it a year a go for £8,500+vat. I found a few with lower mileage but no air con so it's always a trade off.
That's my 2p worth. Hope you find a good one soon T:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that N G Neer.

A van like yours would be perfect, we'll definitely take a month or two and see what comes up. Newer and lower mileage sounds good! Might have some travelling to do as they seem to be spread far and wide.

Where did you search for your van, any more good sites to look on other than what I've already mentioned?

Cheers

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm in the motor trade and in and out of garages all day long so I get to see what's around. If you want a panel van to convert then try some reputable used van traders. They are always getting in ex fleet vans with good history. The other options would be direct from rental companies when they de-fleet or auctions, if you know what you're looking at or can take someone with you. Having said that there were quite a few on Autotrader when I was looking.
If you want one that's already converted your options are a bit more limited. T:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mine had 187k on it when I bought it and paid £7k it was a 5 seater and registerd correctly captains seats, dvd fitted alloy wheels etc. The car van pulls well and handles well. High mileage aint a problem if well maintained

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have thought about converting a commercial van, as there seems to be plenty around that are quite new with moderate mileage, but with that all important service history. I'm sure the conversions can't be too difficult to do, or if bought at the right price a professional job might be well worth the money. I know very little about engines so might have to drag someone along who knows a bit more, but once that bit's sorted then the interior and looks will follow.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
personally id go for the van and convert it yourself.. much more choiceT:T:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts