VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(duplicated on T5 forum)

Hi - We're looking at buying a VW T4 / T5 camper for around the £10k mark. We're new to campers after having enough of pitching tents in pouring rain and darkness! Having viewed many adds on eBay, Gumtree and on this site, there's such a wide variety of vehicle out there so we're finding it difficult to know what we should be looking for.

Are we best buying something a little older (2000/2001 era) which has been well looked after with moderate mileage around 100/120k, or something newer (2005/06) which has done higher mileage?

At the moment we're considering a lovely 2006 T30 130 Tdi which has done 156,000. The van was restricted with a VW limiter for the first 149,000 miles, and has a full service history. Would you be concerned about this mileage or are these vehicles expected to go for 250k+ miles?

Many thanks for your assistance, two novices are greatly appreciative!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Id always go with a well maintained documented history vehicle, the best you can afford.
That said i worked in the motor trade for ten years and was with porsche for 6yrs.... All i'll say is a shed is built by every manufacturer at some point in the week I:

I'd rather have newer higher milage with the history than older shall we say perhaps more vague history.

The limiter thing wouldnt sway me either way.

Just for the record i bought an '02 1.9td T4 with 112k and every receipt and mot.
I have bought niggly things like an alternator and have a little coolant loss issue (heater matrix)
But its the best i could find for the money i had at the time

Buy with your head (you can then make it as your heart desires) :ILU:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chief, that's the sort of advice we're looking for. The service history is worth its weight in gold I guess.

I'm just not sure whether 160,000 is too high mileage (especially for us novices!) for use as an every day vehicle. Wouldn't want to find problems with the engine and other mechanical parts immediately after buying!

Also, what can we realistically expect mpg wise from the two engines ...1.9 and 2.5 tdi?

Decisions decisions...! Like everyone else, shame we don't have a crystal ball!

Maybe we should keep looking around for another month or two, soak in the world of Vdubbing and their vans before we buy.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tbh there is a big difference in the two engines for performance
I had the choice of my van and its twin but in 2.5tdi form with 96k (two px's from same company)
I took the 1.9 purely on cost of running for parts etc.
My good pal has the 2.5 and is happy with that one too T:

Take your time and ask loads of questions...
I waited nearly a year for the two T4's that i had the choice of to come up (rushed a cheap sale of my baywindow to buy it)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've read the 1.9 appears more fuel efficient than the 2.5, but then opinions seem to vary.

As much as I don't want to rush in, I'm on the verge of having to replace my car and after much umm'ing and rrr'ing, we've decided to take the plunge and buy a camper to replace my car. So ideally could do to find something within the next couple of months. That said, we won't rush in until I've spent many hours, days and weeks on these forums (!!) and google until we find something that suits our needs.

Do you happen to know if the VW shows / festivals are any good for finding a van? Do plenty sales and swaps go on at these places? The VW festival at Harewood House in Leeds is coming up, and only 40 minutes away from us.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mornin matey, if you do go to leeds my pal is going and well worth a bit of craic with,
He restores and imports bays but runs a T4 also. He went through everything with me on service and parts costing etc.
As for speed, our lass has a 59 reg passat cc 170dsg tuned to over 200bhp :cool:
Me? Id rather drive my van lol!! I did the 1.9 td fuel and turbo mods as shown on here and im more than happy with it up the hills
Also £20 diesel gets me about 110-120 miles so im happy...
Plus you can run veg oil

·
Registered
465 Posts
We had the same problem last year when buying, had the choice of a t5 and a t4. The t5 had done 80k and the t4 had done 52k , both about the same price, although the t4 was a full camper and had a service history the t5 was part converted with no s/h. We decided to buy the t4 and when I now see some t5s on the road I wonder have I made the right choice but when I put our van in for mot last week the garage pointed out what a good van the t4 was and advised me to leave the t5s alone as they can be very troublesome . It all, surely, comes down to budget if you are on a low budget a good late t4 should be a better buy than an early t5

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hello mate, thought i`d let you into my experience, we bought a van in April this year after months of looking. The van we bought had no service history but i had a list of questions the length of my arm. When speaking to people you know by the way and speed, also the contents of there responses wither they genuine or not and also wither the information is good. Unfortunately for us there were few vans for sale in Scotland and everything was hundreds of miles away. Anyway we found our van was happy with the answers to our questions and i agreed a price with the seller. I then booked a one way ticket for a 300 mile train journey to see the van with a pocket full of pound notes, that way if it proves good i can drive it home; or if it looks a dog i can jump on the train back home.

The van was good as far as i could see, (i used to work in the motor industry and would like to think i can still spot a dog.) The deal was done and i drove it home, so far all i`ve had to do is general maintinance like servicing brakes and the like and am loving my van. Again like you we had a tight budget and wanted as much as poss for our cash, the van we got was;

2003 T4 2.5TDI Longnose, with full conversion, leckie windows, Aircon, Cruise control, Recon gearbox, new starter motor, lower and upper balljoints replaced. All in all a pretty good package.. Here`s some pictures;;

The price we paid for this was £8400, very happy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts