VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought i had better start a build thread. Ive had the van a month now so i will post up some pics as and when i do things. It wont be a big budget build as i want to do as much as i can and keep costs down. Heres how it looked when i bought it on eBay

So far all ive done is clean it up a bit and take out the interior ready to insulate. Ive lowered it with some cheap springs ( that havnt bunched upT:)
Heres how its looking now

Got a debadged grill to fit from CMC so i will post pictures when i do it sometime over the weekend.
Apologies for the poor pictures.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers fella, im happy with it. Only paid £1500 for it so its not mint but its a good base to start with. Heres the new grill from CMC fitted. First time ive used CMC and if all there products are as good as this it wont be the last.

Forgot to take a before picture.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Started the insulation today so heres a few pics of the progress

Theyre not in order, infact id flashbanded it and started with the insulation before i remembered to take some pictures. Next up is the celotex board so i will post more when i do it.
Any tips or advice greatly appriciated T:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
from the photos ot looks like the filler and edge of old paint is still high and could do with a little more rubbing back but good work so far fella

keeps us updated

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
from the photos ot looks like the filler and edge of old paint is still high and could do with a little more rubbing back but good work so far fella

keeps us updated
Thanks for the advice im a complete novice with the bodywork. Im going to get an orbital sander and a bigger range of sandpaper. I read your thread on bodywork which helped but like i said im a complete novice. I cant afford to pay somebody to do it for me and i want the satisfaction of being able to stand back and say " i did that ". Is high build primer/ putty a must use product? Thanks again for the advice fella T:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
your welcome mate and if there is anything you are not sure about and want to ask just give us a shout and ill try help you out with it.

yes a sander will help you out no end and also a good range of sandpaper always helps (if you can afford it id go with some 3m or indasa da sanding discs as they do the job much faster than wet and dry or cheaper papers and do last a while)

its always good to be able to turn round and say i did that to people and also just a good boost for yourself knowing you have done it and also picked up a new skill.

highbuild primer or spray putty is not a must but it dose help with the prep because you dont have to get the surface so flat and scratch free as when you block the primer down you should be able to lose alot of it

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking good so far mate, I wish mine was at the stage yours it at!
Cheers still plenty to do, but im enjoying grabbing an hour or so when i can to do bits here and there. Now my brother has bought his i will get more time to do things as i can spin the mrs the line that im helping him instead of "messing about in that bloody van again" as she puts it, bless her. Want to get the insulation finished this week so i can get it boarded out. Then its windows and carpet whilst sorting the bodywork too. Stick with it you will get there T:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts