VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

It must be on here somewhere, but I cant find any info.

Do the new 140ps engines have a DPF?

If so have they caused any problems for anyone?

As per another thread, i am thinking of buying a van with the 140 engine and are trying to see if i am setting myself up for a fall

thanks

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Diesel vehicles that are Euro 5 compliant need a DPF so I guess the 2.0 TDI's all have one. They are supposed to have problems if you do a lot of short journeys at around 75k miles. I've not heard any problems yet, maybe it's too early for low annual mileage vehicles to reach 75k?

A quote i found
"Just the single 1968cc 2.0-litre twin-cam 16-valve CR common-rail DI direct-injection four-cylinder forced-induction diesel engine is available – albeit in varying states of tune for different performance requirements: 75 TDI, 103 TDI and 132 TDI.

A diesel particulate filter helps make each 2.0 TDI CR DI unit Euro-V emissions compliant, as does the abolishment of a conventional torque-converter automatic gearbox such as the old six-speed Tiptronic transmission for the highly efficient DSG – a new-generation wet-clutch multi plate seven-speed item that makes its world debut in the T5 GP. VW says this DSG is rated to about 600Nm of torque"

·
Registered
607 Posts
well I had mine removed and had it stage 3 tuned at the same time, remapped, its more responsive so much smoother and eventually when you stop smiling and drive it sensibly it returns better mpg !!T:T::D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Only problem with removing the DPF (aside from emissions) is the cloud of soot you leave behind when accelerating and the exhaust smell. Normally a diesel would have a downward facing exhaust pipe but because DPFs filter the soot manufacturers fit the same pipe as a petrol engine. I almost had the DPF removed from my 118d until i looked at one that already had it removed. Really strong diesel exhaust fumes even on tick over, so i wouldn't do it personally.

·
Registered
607 Posts
cant say I have really noticed either to be honest:) pros and cons to every thing I suppose each to their ownT::D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts