VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My vans always been a bit of a pain on start up. Stalling etc. But today I took off the Idle Control valve to give it a bit of a clean.
No wonder it was a bit rubbish, One of the internal wires was broken! Anyway, repaired that and now it buzzes and idles good.

At the same time I thought i would replace relay 30 as I had an unknown black one in there. Proper off white VW one in.

Now I'm kangerooing like a good un, revs dieing as i pull away.

Is there a procedure for resetting ecu after installing relay 30. I have read on the forum about revving above 3000 but can someone 'walk' me though the steps if this is what I have to do.

Many thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone...?

Hi all,

My vans always been a bit of a pain on start up. Stalling etc. But today I took off the Idle Control valve to give it a bit of a clean.
No wonder it was a bit rubbish, One of the internal wires was broken! Anyway, repaired that and now it buzzes and idles good.

At the same time I thought i would replace relay 30 as I had an unknown black one in there. Proper off white VW one in.

Now I'm kangerooing like a good un, revs dieing as i pull away.

Is there a procedure for resetting ecu after installing relay 30. I have read on the forum about revving above 3000 but can someone 'walk' me though the steps if this is what I have to do.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
Old black relay plays up if put back in. Didn't before but thought with the ICV being ropey it was all connected. Sorted ICV now, broken wire inside cap, re-soldered. Pain to do but buzzing and idling as it should.
so revs dieing as I pull away/ accelerate, makes no difference if old black relay or new VW white relay in.

I will try disconnecting battery overnight. This will be Monday night now, need van early tomorrow.

Is this to 'reboot' ecu with new relay?

Many thanks, will let you know how I get on.

Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 2.0 AAC engine 1998 relay 30 problems. Help please.

So, done the overnight battery off and no difference. More like 20 odd hours disconnected.

Anyone got anymore ideas. Vac pipes are good. Idles good now fix on ISV has been done.

I'll give an example of whats happening since I changed relay 30.

You know when your coming up to a junction, you either stop or if there's a gap in the traffic and your in second gear, you accelerate away. Well if I accelerate away, revs die and engine pops and bubbles and then catches and I shoot across junction.

Doesn't happen all the time but I'd say 50/50

This has only happened still I changed relay 30.

Any ideas please. :confused:

Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are you sure it's not drawing air through ICV, then when the revs come up and the fuelling increases you get more power, sounds like its lean to start with to me you could try blocking the ICV but you will struggle with the idle unless you can hold it on the throttle just to try :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your suggestion.
How would I go about blocking the ICV? Top of engine hole or pipe off ICV or is that completely wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: 2.0 AAC engine 1998 relay 30 problems. Sorted!

Finally sorted this out. A:A:

Gunk in the vac port on ecu. Changed all vac pipes as well.

No more nonsense when driving.T:

Tick over seems a bit slow when warm though. Can I increase this ?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Cheers, Jon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts