VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since they didn't sell a diesel T4 ("Eurovan" here) we built our own... Had my '93 "multi-van" with pop top, beds, table but no sink/stove forever and it was always a gas hog with the 2.5 gasoline engine and automatic trans. At 165,000 miles the trans was acting up and the exhaust manifold cracked, so I imported a low miles 2.4 diesel and, picked up a used 5 speed from a salvage yard and now we've got an extremely rare (here) diesel T4!

Because diesel T4's were not sold in the US the dealers here are of no help.

- Can anyone provide information, part no.s, etc. for a taller 5th gear? Hate to run it that hard on the interstates!

- Don't absolutely need it but I would also like to have a cold start handle and cable. The US market van just has a cover plate in the dash where the cold start grab handle should be.

Thanks for any help. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Sorry dude, have absolutely no idea about the 2.4. I know there's a 5th gear mod for the 2.5 box bot that's not much help to you. You could try a PM to Aggie on here, he seems to know just about everything there is to know on all things mechanical.
Good luck.

·
Registered
644 Posts
What is the cold start handle? A few people have mentioned it in the past! Why would we need it?

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
What is the cold start handle? A few people have mentioned it in the past! Why would we need it?
To aid starting in cold conditions, I reckon the clue's in the name Rasp:.

It advances the timing and ups the fuelling T:.

·
Registered
16 Posts
....AKA a manual choke

I've got one on my 2.4 diesel and havn't had one since selling my '66 Merc fintail, even my old air cooled bus had an automatic choke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As noted it's just a way to mechanically advance the injection to aid in cold starting.. Don't really need it as the silly thing fired right up the other morning after sitting out all night at about 5F, but it does help smooth things out a bit until there's some heat in the block :). I'll pm Aggie about the taller 5th gear as suggested. The kid plans to drive the van across the country in the spring so there will be a couple of good 1000 mile stretches of droning down the interstate at 70-75mph. The engine doesn't seem to mind but I hate to spin the thing that hard for that long.. Thanks all.T:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts