VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening chaps. Long story short, ive got a leak on the fuel pump. (its not the spindle, sorted that once). The leak is on the pipe side of the pump.

thinking of having a got a changing some seals

Now ive had the pump off during the engine rebuild but i also had the head and everything off. Then when i put it all back together my uncle came round to sort all the timing.

So i know how you physically get the pump off the van, but the timing scares the sh.. out of me. It's the only thing i don't like the idea of doing.

So, can anyone give me a crash course in timing and pump removal?

What needs to be set, locked, removed, checked, double checked.

More info the better on this, Write ups, links, pictures, personal experience

Thanks in advance

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Time the engine up first. Should be a mark on the crank pulley, if not then then on the flywheel (pull the rubber bung out the top of the gearbox.

Should be a mark on the diesel pump sprocket too.

Don't even think about takin the pump off without lining the marks up first.

Brookster is your main man for 2.4 stuff, neer worked on one personally but they can't be that different to a 2.5 when it comes to static timing.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time the engine up first. Should be a mark on the crank pulley, if not then then on the flywheel (pull the rubber bung out the top of the gearbox.

Should be a mark on the diesel pump sprocket too.

Don't even think about takin the pump off without lining the marks up first.

Brookster is your main man for 2.4 stuff, neer worked on one personally but they can't be that different to a 2.5 when it comes to static timing.
Cheers, Paul. Its Brooksters old pump im fitting. When i put the engine to TDC with mark on the flywheel lined up, the mark on the pump pulley is slightly out. Does this matter? Also, Does to pulley locate with a woodruff key so you can put the pump on, refit the pulley and realign the notch?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
How did you get on?

Did mine under 2 hours.

Timed it. Locked the pump, tensioner off an adjuster set in the middle of its range, belt off.

Unplugged wiring, disconnected all hoses to pump.

Removed pulley (yes it's keyed and the keyway corresponds to the timing notch.

Removed the 3 bolts in the pulley end of the pump and the one at the other end. Removed pump.

Hardest part was priming the new one. Timing ended up advanced but drove home to warm it up and checked with vag com and wound it back until the computer was happy.

Yours needs to be set either by ear or with a DTI gauge and adapter. Give brooky a shout he's done it load of times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts