VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my name Ricki and i just bought a 1994 t4 188k. so i'm in the process of changing the timing belt and the oil pump pulley bolt just came off in my hand no tools needed the bolt just seem to small maybe a m6. I can't feel any thread in the hole and the hole seems to big. I ordered a bolt and washers and helicoil kit just in case. has anyone had problems like this ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi all my name Ricki and i just bought a 1994 t4 188k. so i'm in the process of changing the timing belt and the oil pump pulley bolt just came off in my hand no tools needed the bolt just seem to small maybe a m6. I can't feel any thread in the hole and the hole seems to big. I ordered a bolt and washers and helicoil kit just in case. has anyone had problems like this ?
Hi Ricki, welcome to the forum! That’s the right bolt bud, I had a similar query not that long ago. The hole in the pulley is 8mm but it has a recess that sits on a protrusion on the block. This keeps it square and the tiny bolt just holds it in place. The M6 threads in the hole in the block don’t start until around 20mm deep in the hole. Should have had to undo it with a ratchet though so not sure what’s going on there but if it’s anything like my van (I also recently got) it won’t be the last one like that 😂

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ricki, welcome to the forum! That’s the right bolt bud, I had a similar query not that long ago. The hole in the pulley is 8mm but it has a recess that sits on a protrusion on the block. This keeps it square and the tiny bolt just holds it in place. The M6 threads in the hole in the block don’t start until around 20mm deep in the hole. Should have had to undo it with a ratchet though so not sure what’s going on there but if it’s anything like my van (I also recently got) it won’t be the last one like that 😂
Hi mate thank for the reply. I think the threads are knackered in the block going to try and helicoil it on the weekend and really hoping i don't have to take the oil pump off and sump off. my plan was to take engine out in the winter and rebuild and only do the essential now so i can use it for the summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts