VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello community,

I am coming close to the finish line after a lengthy rebuild of my turbo-converted 1993 (early model) 2.4 AAB. Oversized pistons, new rings, bearings, head, etc. ect. (the list goes on!). I have recently put the injection pump back onto the engine and have sorted out the injection pump timing. I am working on priming the fuel delivery system and getting it ready for a start up. Truth be told, after turning it over by hand numerous times to ensure everything was rotating smoothly, I have cranked it over a few times. The first go I think the pump timing was still out and the most recent time I don't think I had the fuel system bled properly.

A couple of issues I have been having: injection pump timing. I understand the principles but it is just a bit of a hum dinger for me.

• priming fuel delivery system (I think I am going to try a work around and bypass the fuel filter for initial start, just stick some fuel lines direct to the pump from a canister of Diesel Purge or regular diesel).
  • battery will only crank so much before dying!
What would you guys say are some tips for trying to get a newly rebuilt engine to start? I have read a bit about using brake cleaner in the air intake, but haven't gone that route yet. Tips, suggestions, questions are all welcome!! As well, I have a general break in guideline my machinist gave me (when to change oil, seating the new rings) but would you folks recommend a specific break in procedure for this engine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
568 Posts
With they ignition on you can use a vacuum pump on the fuel return line at the filter to suck the fuel right through the pump,lines and filter.
If lost on the timing, set the pump position with the locking pin tool, that should be enough for the initial start up and then you can sort it with the gauge. I personally found that the gauge set mine slightly advanced so finished it by ear.
Buy a new battery.
Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Priming/Vacuum Pump:
I did use a handheld vacuum pump on the fuel return line, but had some persistent and significant air bubbles in the transparent fuel feed line. I ended up progressively bleeding the system (fuel supply, then return, then return side after fuel filter) which finally got them out. Next step is to bleed the air out of the injector lines. Haven't had a chance to turn it over in a few days though.

Thanks for the suggestion on timing.

Battery:
Funnily enough it I did buy a brand new battery before starting to crank it over. Think there may be a short between the battery and the starter motor or some poor connections that could be contributing to the quick draining battery.

I'll keep some updates coming as I go, maybe it will help someone else in the future :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It turns out that I had the fuel pump timing 180 degrees off (d'oh!). Easy enough to get it reset and now the van is starting like a champ! New battery got some better cranking. I think sorting out the wiring helped a lot as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts