VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, some advice and thoughts please....

Just been refitting the cyl head, after a head gasket failure.... all back together but running like a bag of nails.

Head was skimmed at engineers, 3 notch Elring back on (based on piston protrusion).

Injectors reconditioned.

On refit;

No 1 piston to TDC measured with DTI, confirmed with flywheel marking between O and T.

Camshaft lobes at No1 pointing up, locking bar fitted horizontal

Fuel pump was locked in place notches lined up.

After everything put back together, it fired up after a good few turns, it now runs but very very rough. I cracked off each injector and each is getting fuel so not a miss firing Injector, (with each one the rough idle just sounded worse).

Is it just a timing adjustment issue or have I missed something obvious, do I need the pump adjustment kit to solve this or can I refine the rough running another way timing wise...

Somewhat deflated after a lengthy rebuild!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes you will need to adjust the pump more accurately using your dti and the correct adapter in the end of the pump.Not familiar with the 2.4 d but the instructions are in Haynes

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough, thanks.... I will go for the DTI set up, see how it goes and post back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just couldn’t get mine right setting via the pump and ended up doing it “by ear”. Not sure if wear becomes a factor.

Try rotating FP pulley little advanced and see how it sounds... you’re moving it fractions here and rotate the engine a couple of times by hand to check and re-check your settings as it’s easy to lose that bit of adjustment tightening the pulley back up.

PITA but you’ll get there.... I was in exactly same situation last year after replacing head.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's reassuring, I had a mini heart attack when it first turned over !!

However, I got the basic timing kit DTI and adpaters part no CF4077, within a couple of goes it now sounds right.
Yet to test drive as it is still on axle stands but it goes first time and no excess smoke sounding as should.

Timed to 1.00 mm on the DTI, used thos vid as guidance

before this I looked at manual pump rotation by hand undid the three bolts sat in the elongated holes but wouldnt budge... are there other bolts to loosen?

(Cheers for the top tips and assistance chaps btw)

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you can set it via the pump rotation great but I struggled with those bolts.

Did mine by loosening the fuel pump pulley as moving the pump itself looked like a mare because of those bolts. I also didn’t want to put any pressure on the fuel delivery pipe banjos although you could just slacken them, adjust and nip back up.

The pump pulley is on a tapered cam for adjustability.

There’s a few posts on here on how to do it.

There’s also the one from me at the time when I couldn’t get it right with a dial gauge but maybe I was just unlucky.

How does it run with the cold start lever out? That advances things a few degrees (4? iirc?) so May help indicate how far away you are.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did mine by loosening the cam sprocket on the fuel pump side. No messing about with pump bolts in any way risking the thing slipping when tightening. Using the pulley hold tool, loosen the cam sprocket and use the tool to adjust the pump timing by the tiniest of amounts, then tighten the bolt back up to 100nm. This sprocket is a flat side fit to the cam rather than taper so it's easy to loosen.

I set mine by ear, using the cold start handle to help gauge it too, remember what it sounded like before you changed things. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts