VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have been doing some engine work and decided to remove the head to reseat the valves, on inspection I found a few cracks and now wondering what to do.
From what I have read in other posts cracks between the inlet and exhaust valve are quite a common thing and not a big deal? but I also have a tiny crack running from valve to PCC so my question is does anyone have experience of cracks in this area? are there waterways in the area of these cracks? are they likely to become a problem? The engine was running fine so no leakage or pressurising yet but should I be looking for a new head?馃檮
Thank you

Registered
It is a gamble to keep using the current head, but hopefully to reassure you VW had a TPI & advised mechanics that small cracks like yours were OK to reuse the head. Some failed but the vast majority didn't. If chunks were missing the head would of been replaced under the TPI.
In the end the gamble is yours but the odds are in your favour.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
May still be some hope left then, thanks(y) I'm keeping an eye out for a replacement as well so will see what comes along, if nothing then may re use this one

Valve Lifter
What caused the cracks in the first place?

There is an inline electric water pump located in the bottom radiator hose - this should switch on after turning the engine off if the sensor detects hot spots in the cylinder head. Worth checking?

Jim24
T4 1999 2.4D

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
What caused the cracks in the first place?
Jim24
T4 1999 2.4D
Hi, I assume its just age / milage, its never got hot in my ownership but who knows its past. I have read other posts and seems to be not uncommon for cracks between the vales at least. It is / was running fine so they could have been there for years.

Registered
It's normally just stresses in the casting with constant heating & cooling. Once the stress has been released in this way it's not likely to get worse.
They probably allowed the casting to cool too quickly during manufacture IMO.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
It's normally just stresses in the casting with constant heating & cooling. Once the stress has been released in this way it's not likely to get worse.
They probably allowed the casting to cool too quickly during manufacture IMO.
That would make sense and hopefully thats the case here. I got a quote for a new one and it was over 800.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts