VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi anyone know how to undo the crankshaft nut on 2.4d aab auto. How do i hold the damper pulley still whilst undoing the nut,there is a tool on ebay but i dont understand how it works,

·
Registered
306 Posts
get a good strong socket, not a worn cheap thing with a good strong breaker bar

put it on the crank pulley resting breaker bar on floor (the crank pulley rotates clockwise so the bar to the front)

FLICK the ignition key WITHOUT STARTING THE ENGINE and the pulley bolt will be loose.

i use this method each and everytime i need to undo a crank pulley.

·
Registered
689 Posts
get a good strong socket, not a worn cheap thing with a good strong breaker bar

put it on the crank pulley resting breaker bar on floor (the crank pulley rotates clockwise so the bar to the front)

FLICK the ignition key WITHOUT STARTING THE ENGINE and the pulley bolt will be loose.

i use this method each and everytime i need to undo a crank pulley.

how do you tighten it back up?

·
Registered
306 Posts
put it in reverse !Rasp:

you can use a hammer gun to get a rough tighten then you must torque it up.

put it in gear, any gear, handbrake on and torque it, the van will move a tiny likkle likkle bit but it will torque. T:

dont forget that some people insist on a new bolt,diamond washer, so on and so on, if you dont, use a bit of locktight.

·
Registered
689 Posts
i dont know for the sake of £40 i'd rather just get the tools and not bother risking breaking things worth more than £40, as for using locktite on a stretch bolt rather than replacing it well you must have put the smiley in the wrong place for that one...:eek:

·
Registered
306 Posts
i dont know for the sake of £40 i'd rather just get the tools and not bother risking breaking things worth more than £40, as for using locktite on a stretch bolt rather than replacing it well you must have put the smiley in the wrong place for that one...:eek:
no not really, the thumbs up face not a smiley face was in the right place.

you would be amazed how many people would just re-fit bolts not knowing if there stretch bolts or not... so a bit of locktight goes a long way, regardless if it is stretch or not.

as for breaking things, what could you possibly break doing it the way many fitters and i have been doing for years :confused:

I dont get it ! advice line is closed, :bhd

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
IF you are lucky , it can be straightforward . IF you are unlucky , like mine ... had to be oxy-heated , to break the threadlock from previos removal ..!! The mechanic who did mine had his full weight on a 4ft bar , Only getting heat on it moved it .. 350 plus ft . lbs .. can take a bit of moving ...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
you would be amazed how many people would just re-fit bolts not knowing if there stretch bolts or not... so a bit of locktight goes a long way, regardless if it is stretch or not.
If I remember correctly someone on one of the forums had a bolt snap & the pulley went rolling down the road. It was probably a bolt that had never been replaced & stretched several times. Loctite would not have helped in this case & probably caused a lot of grief getting the broken part out of the crankshaft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts