VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, as most here I'd like to get a little more oumph from my 1993 AAB Westfalia Camper.

Here in Canada, we didn't have the 2.5 TDI nor that the 2.4 D sold in the US ... So our power upgrades are limited.

I've been reading posts here and there trying to gather the best option for :

1) Better mpg (planning on changing the 5th gear)
2) Better power not to downshift to 2nd gear in those steep hills ! ;)
3) Relliability since part will be hard to source if it ever breaks down on a long roadtrip.

I started sourcing an ACV engine from Germany. But the cost of the shipping itself is very high,

Question is :

1) Can I just grab the cylinder head and bolt it to the 2.4 D AAB block ?

The other items on the list would be :

-Cylinder head with injectors
-intake manifold
-exhaust manifold with turbo and piping
-Intercooler, piping and intake piping
-diesel pump
-electrical connector from head (different sensors)
-Wiring loom (wiring harness as we call it here)
-ECU
-Downpipe

Am I missing something ?

WIll that work to say "convert" the AAB to an ACV ?

Are engine block internals different ? (rods, crank, pistons the same or stronger due to higher power output) ?

Finally, if that is a route I can take, anyone has a source for those parts ?

Cheers

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,154 Posts
I think you'll struggle to get those parts over there.
Total cost of postage will probably be about the same as shipping a complete engine from Germany.
Also.....would you be able to register it?
There's a reason the 2,5TDi was never sold in USA/Canada

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

There's no link between the engine and registration here.

No TDI, because there was no demand ? (USA market goes by petrol engines ... we're merely as large as 1 state market !)

Regardless of the cost to bring it from the "other side of the pond",

I'd like to know if "mechanically it'd work" ?

Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

There's no link between the engine and registration here.

No TDI, because there was no demand ? (USA market goes by petrol engines ... we're merely as large as 1 state market !)

Regardless of the cost to bring it from the "other side of the pond",

I'd like to know if "mechanically it'd work" ?

Thanks
No - no it wouldn't not very well as the internals are all wrong. You are trying to fit a direct injection head onto an indirect block and pistons

You'd be better off sourcing the inlet manifold, a volvo V70 turbo and possibly a hybrid pump to turbo the AAB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aren't the indirect injection and direct injection related to the head ? If I bring the pump and piping grom the ACV, where is the issue ?

What differences are in the block then ?

Are there ports for the injectors in the block ? oil squirters for the rods on the ACV ? PIstons different ?

Please be specific ?

I know those block go a loooong way in interchangeability ... I have a Audi coupe quattro and those are basically the same block. Some use the VW diesel blocks to build strokers ...

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No - no it wouldn't not very well as the internals are all wrong. You are trying to fit a direct injection head onto an indirect block and pistons

You'd be better off sourcing the inlet manifold, a volvo V70 turbo and possibly a hybrid pump to turbo the AAB.

What about a full swap then ? Any hurdles there ?

Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
A full swap would be easy enough if you had a complete donor van but as you say the diesel vans over there are rare so i think you will run into so many hurdles and be constantly having to order more bits from abroad it would take forever and cost a fortune to complete.
Things off the top of my head would be immobilizer, clocks, throttle pedal i believe is wire not cable, clutch pedal may also have a sensor, aux setup varies between years, air filer box setup?, exhaust down pipe and who knows what else,
Many people here have being doing the turbo conversion on the aab with just the manifolds and turbo from the tdi which alot of success which would be easier and alot less shipping costs, if you search the forum you can see its been done many times.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Not sure on the mpg but these are all the parts I bought to turbo my aab T:

Acv turbo 074145701a
Acv exhaust manifold 074253033g
Acv intake manifold 074123713
Dipstick tube 074115630p
Oil return pipe 074145735
Oil feed pipe 074145771c
Suction hose 074129715f
Upper oil pipe seals x2 n0138123
Dipstick gasket 035145757c
Turbo pipe bolts (M8x18mm hex collered) n90129001
Top nut for oil pipe n0110691
Banjo bolt 1j0422269b
Lower oil feed seals x2 (16x22x1.5 aluminum) n138487
Turbo to oil pipe gasket 046145757a
Intake gasket 074129717
Exhaust gaskets X5 028129589b
Egr blank
Egr gasket
Manifold gasket 028129748
Turbo to inlet pipes
70mm - 60mm 45° reducer pipe
70mm jubilee
60mm jubilee x 3
5mm vacuum pipe+clamps
1 metre 22mm flexible silicon pipe
4mm blanking plug
55mm jubilee
22mm Jubilee x2
51mm jubilee
43mm x 3.5mm turbo o-ring
Boost gauge
Egt gauge
51mm joiner pipe with t piece

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi. Guys. I can still get. 35mpg from my 2.4 turbo. And still got improvements to do with an intercooler and 5th gear change to do

Good luck with it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Other questions :
1) Are there better injectors out there? (I remember for my 1z tdi there elwas an upgrade that gave better mpg And power)
2) What 5th gear ratio is the maximum I should go? (bear in mind that is a Westfalia and is more heavy that just the van and for now we'll stay NA - turbo will come later)
3) I was reading adjusting the fuel pump 1/4 turn out? Good results with this? Mpg gets worse?

Thanks for the great responses already! ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get that ?
It seemed that, based upon prior answers, a full swap would be complex and just turboing my AAB would be a better approach... My questions were in continuity with that.

I'd still like to make the ACV swap if you have anything to offer on that end?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Other questions :
1) Are there better injectors out there? (I remember for my 1z tdi there elwas an upgrade that gave better mpg And power)
2) What 5th gear ratio is the maximum I should go? (bear in mind that is a Westfalia and is more heavy that just the van and for now we'll stay NA - turbo will come later)
3) I was reading adjusting the fuel pump 1/4 turn out? Good results with this? Mpg gets worse?

Thanks for the great responses already! ?
1) injectors that flow at 155 bar are considered an upgrade for the 2.4 once turbo'ed,the injectors were fitted in a MK2 golf GTD and a VW LT 6 cylinder 2.4TD or rake on here sells his uprated injectors,not sure of the performance gains on n/a compared to turbo
2) ive got a 0.66 fifth gear fitted and find it very good,before i could do 30mph in fifth,now have to wait till 40mph to change to fifth but can drive at 70/80mph without the engine screaming
3) if your going to play with the fuel screw you need to fit a exhaust gas temp gauge,more fuel equals higher egt's and you dont want to melt anything,i would suggest getting the pump timing checked if its set correctly and pulling the radiator into service mode and check the throttle cable is not slack,makes a massive difference tightened it up if it is slack

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi. The acv. Swap is alot of messing about but can be done. You will need all the parts from it probably going to cost an arm and leg and a lot of time
If you have not done this sort of thing before. Dont bother. You need some one that knows what they are doing
I would stick with the 2.4 and turbo it. You can get good results from it

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys.

So I see there are "PP3" injectors. I wrote tp that guy and we'll see what he has to offer :)

I'll be checking just now, but anyone has a link to a thread to fit an EGT prope and gauge ?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts