VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it possible to remove the engine sump without removing anything else...any pointers on how to do it?

cheers phil

·
Registered
62 Posts
yes its possible, but you will stuck with couple bolts behind driveshaft so it may take some time and be pation,take all bolts carefull dont forget bolt by the gearbox hidden by the flywheel,you need find them when you turn crank sorry mate mine english aint very good

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive just taken the sump off my 2.5 acv and it was a b%stard, the 2 bolts on the flywheel end were the worst, you have to turn the crankshaft just right and use a torch just to see them, i ended up using a long allen key with the short bit sawn off so i could stick it in a 1/4" socket in order to get any torque on the bolt. Thinking about it a really long t handled, ball end allen key would have been the tool for the job.
There are a few bolts on the rear of the sump which are plain awkward you`ll need a 1/4" drive socket set for it with a set of hex bits. I found that even with the 1/4 socket set there was one bolt right above the driveshaft joint that just didnt have the clearance for it so i had to use a hex bit with a tiny spanner to turn it quarter of a turn at a time! It was a right ballache but looking on the bright side of things the inside of the sump and the oil pickup were spotless apart from the left over oil. Good luck! oh and dont forget something to rest your head on while you`re under the van!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts