VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

We put about 1000 km on our "new" 93 2.4D AAB California. Unfortunately, the engine was consuming coolant and our local shop says the head gasket went bad and the engine needs a new cylinder head. The overall cost with labor and machine work on the head is going to be 2000 to 3000 euros with a new water pump, belt, etc. This seems high give that I can find a motor online for less than 2k euros.

I'm considering and leaning towards just replacing the cylinder heads as the engine only has 180km. Does anyone know where I can source a new cylinder head or have advice on how to proceed?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. We're located in Granada, Spain so I'll need to ship the vehicle here.

Also, I come from the T2 aircooled days where I rebuild the 1.7L engine myself, but the wasserboxes are a whole new game to me.

-dave

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Hi Gang,

We put about 1000 km on our "new" 93 2.4D AAB California. Unfortunately, the engine was consuming coolant and our local shop says the head gasket went bad and the engine needs a new cylinder head. The overall cost with labor and machine work on the head is going to be 2000 to 3000 euros with a new water pump, belt, etc. This seems high give that I can find a motor online for less than 2k euros.

I'm considering and leaning towards just replacing the cylinder heads as the engine only has 180km. Does anyone know where I can source a new cylinder head or have advice on how to proceed?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. We're located in Granada, Spain so I'll need to ship the vehicle here.

Also, I come from the T2 aircooled days where I rebuild the 1.7L engine myself, but the wasserboxes are a whole new game to me.

-dave
i bought a brand new AMC Cylinder head ( made in Spain ) , nice bit of kit T:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The # on my current cylinder head is 074103373 353 and possibly an A on the end of the 353. Is my engine compatible with the previously listed ebay heads? I got a new used head and they're cracked and not going to work so I'm trying find a suitable replacement at this point. Much appreciated for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts