VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 3674 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Got it back now. What a difference. Pulls so much better, seem to be driving everywhere in fifth gear now.

Only running just under 0.5 bar, want to tweak it towards 0.8,but not sure how many turns on the adjustment to try

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Got my conversion completed about a month ago but since then havent managed to get it started (only had about three days of trying though due to work). I'm wondering if anyone can look through and give me any ideas as this setback has kind of dented my previous confidence (manliness)...

1994 LWB syncro with 64K miles on original engine etc.

converted with parts from aja van, turbo in good condition (v little play in spindle) 12mm oil pipe indicating later model.

Since conversion I have tried tweaking the injection pump timing and best results (closest to starting) is when I'm set just in advance of the "Z" mark on the flywheel.
Pump was re-conditioned last November so should be good.
I have loosened off injector no.1 and checked fuel coming through and turned over to eliminate any trapped air.
Glow plug relay and fuse seem to be ok (come on and go off in a similar time to pre-conversion) and I'm getting 12V at the glow plugs.

When I try to start the engine turns over freely and kicks out some white smoke from the exhaust and produces a "galloping" rythm (as though its closer to starting on some cylinders over others).

My thinking;
1) I'm getting fuel and compression so all that could be missing is the heat(???)
2) Alternate theory is that cam belt has shifted (changed just before conversion) so valves are not in time (could this cause the odd rythm seen?).

Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Francis

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi all,

Got my conversion completed about a month ago but since then havent managed to get it started (only had about three days of trying though due to work). I'm wondering if anyone can look through and give me any ideas as this setback has kind of dented my previous confidence (manliness)...

1994 LWB syncro with 64K miles on original engine etc.

converted with parts from aja van, turbo in good condition (v little play in spindle) 12mm oil pipe indicating later model.

Since conversion I have tried tweaking the injection pump timing and best results (closest to starting) is when I'm set just in advance of the "Z" mark on the flywheel.
Pump was re-conditioned last November so should be good.
I have loosened off injector no.1 and checked fuel coming through and turned over to eliminate any trapped air.
Glow plug relay and fuse seem to be ok (come on and go off in a similar time to pre-conversion) and I'm getting 12V at the glow plugs.

When I try to start the engine turns over freely and kicks out some white smoke from the exhaust and produces a "galloping" rythm (as though its closer to starting on some cylinders over others).

My thinking;
1) I'm getting fuel and compression so all that could be missing is the heat(???)
2) Alternate theory is that cam belt has shifted (changed just before conversion) so valves are not in time (could this cause the odd rythm seen?).

Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Francis

Your fuel pump needs to be timed precisely using a dial gauge to engine timing.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Another one for the 'club' :D :D :D

I should have had this boxed off a while ago (had most of it last year) , but been quite busy for 'luxury' upgrades. Took me all weekend to get it done, struggled with access even though I swung the engine forward,,think monkey, think shorter fatter limbs lol

Really though I did not enjoy 'reaching around' and getting the inlet and exhaust manifold bolts off! Had a few nuts shear, the odd seized bolt on, but all over came,,,even after finishing installing all the bits I had to fiddle with the actuator arm to get boost.

Either way I'm happy and will be making more permanent hoses when I do the IC, pump and rakes injectors T:

A 'few' pictures A: (sorry I dont have a build thread for Vera)

Engine swung forward for more access (was at it furthest to the bulk head before I started!)

ooh,, its coming!

Inlet off :D

Exhaust manifold off..

Stud removal since it sheared :eek:

Didn't work so this did:

EGR on 2.5tdi blanked - that required some big boy tools, oxy and acetylene to slice the seized nuts off whilst leaving threads intact,,,I cant take credit for that though!

The big banjo and his predecessor

Dip stick in..though my 2nd hand jobby was a bit bent, so had to grind my stick down to a point to get it to fit nicely & got some shiney new bolts,,shoulda gone normal hex head bolt really..

Finished Article (for now LOL:) Had to use some silicone hose for the breather but it was very soft and collapsed on it self, hence the lashings of white tape!

Booost...think I will notch it down a bit and fiddle with fuelling, not done it yet but I do know it was running a bit 'rich' since the last time I fiddled with my pump when I replaced accelerator cable,,,Im sure I got a few ponies back after doing that job.

--- To Be Done :)

RAKE's Project Power Injectors:

eBay's finest Mitsy IC's

Credits: Thanks to everyone on the forum for the knowledge, Brookster, Stealthcamper to name a few,,, and the various threads, 'T4 Parts' the countries leading T4 parts supplier, Paul Lever, and 'Minichanics' Paul for lending me tools, his unit, coffee and general awesomeness A:

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,266
Nice one , did you get 0.8bar without adjusting the wastegate actuator ?

Have you got a manual boost controller fitted T:

those PP3 Injectors make a massive difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ive tweaked my actuator arm and now it initially boosts to 0.5 ish then climbs to just over 0.8 at the top of the rev range. Pulls like an absolute train now! If i stop watching the boost guage i drive virtually everywhere using half throttle and early gearchanges. Chuffed to bits

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Nice one , did you get 0.8bar without adjusting the wastegate actuator ?

Have you got a manual boost controller fitted T:

those PP3 Injectors make a massive difference.
I had to adjust the wastegate actuator yes,,was plopping it at first because when I first tested it all, revved, and the boost gauge went into negative figures! So got the 10mm spanner out and wound it up as much as possible on the back of the turbo and this is what I have!

Yes there is a manual boost controller fitted, R-Spec one,,probably not the best but will get a turbosmart one when one comes my way (anyone?)

I am doing the I.C. and injectors in a staggered stage to realise the difference of each mod..so for now i am running on my stock injectors. I hope the engine is getting a enough fuel at the moment...vege mix at the moment..I also have it in my head that its best to do the injectors when I get a decent LDA and vege proofed pump sorted..Ive got a 3000 mile journey coming up to Ibiza soon,,wasn't sure I should be doing this now really :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
when I get a decent LDA and vege proofed pump sorted
Modifying the pump for veg is not really required, our pumps are ranked 4 out of 5 on Diesel Bobs good veg pumps guide chart :)

I personally have been running veg 100% for 5 years on a standard pump and no signs of issues yet, mind you I have a heat exchange fitted to keep the oil thin at all times so that may help prolong things :)

If she goes then I will do the full Bob treatment but unlikely before simply due to cost.

In 5 years I have saved so much pretty well any veg related disaster is more than covered by the savings and some :)

With veg it all comes down to a cost of repair and available money vs risk calculation.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Modifying the pump for veg is not really required, our pumps are ranked 4 out of 5 on Diesel Bobs good veg pumps guide chart :)

I personally have been running veg 100% for 5 years on a standard pump and no signs of issues yet, mind you I have a heat exchange fitted to keep the oil thin at all times so that may help prolong things :)

If she goes then I will do the full Bob treatment but unlikely before simply due to cost.

In 5 years I have saved so much pretty well any veg related disaster is more than covered by the savings and some :)

With veg it all comes down to a cost of repair and available money vs risk calculation.
Yup I know, Ive been running veg for 2.5 years, on a standard pump, the veg will rot the seals eventually, or so i am led to believe,,my point was since pump will get rebuilt for LDA I may as well do the seals, vitron ones at that, specifically design for the veg or bio T:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi All,

A quick question to those of you who are fitting lots of these turbo mods. ( I know mole has done quite a few ).

I want to order some silicone hoses to go from turbo to inlet manifold stub, as mine is bodged together with old rad hoses and clamps.( it did blow off a hose on the motorway once, it was back to forth gear on the hills)

What works best and what sizes do I need to order?

Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
its over fueling, it will be set to fuel a Turbo higher power Engine (140bhp)

reduce the fuel screw
Hi again folks, got a chance to get working on my van again after having to leave it for a few months.

The situation was I was about to fit turbo conversion parts when my fuel pump died. So I fitted a fuel pump from an audi turbo diesel and tried to set it up to make sure it worked before doing the turbo conversion. It seems to be overfuelling, the engine revs up to the redline as soon as I start it.

I have tried reducing the fuel screw to the point where the engine won't start but makes no difference, as soon as there's enough fuel to start it goes straight up to max revs. Tried adjusting the idle screw too.

I think I am going to have to call it a day with the audi pump and get my original non turbo one reconditioned, unless anyone has any other suggestions? I have left the auto cold start disconnected could that affect it? Can the throttle somehow get stuck fully open inside the pump?

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,273
Hi again folks, got a chance to get working on my van again after having to leave it for a few months.

The situation was I was about to fit turbo conversion parts when my fuel pump died. So I fitted a fuel pump from an audi turbo diesel and tried to set it up to make sure it worked before doing the turbo conversion. It seems to be overfuelling, the engine revs up to the redline as soon as I start it.

I have tried reducing the fuel screw to the point where the engine won't start but makes no difference, as soon as there's enough fuel to start it goes straight up to max revs. Tried adjusting the idle screw too.

I think I am going to have to call it a day with the audi pump and get my original non turbo one reconditioned, unless anyone has any other suggestions? I have left the auto cold start disconnected could that affect it? Can the throttle somehow get stuck fully open inside the pump?
Send it off to Diesel bob to get it serviced and set up T:

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have been running the truck on a blend of diesel and filtered WVO and I can't believe how quiet and smoothly she now runs. It seems to coast along alot better and I don't have to push it so hard to get the same speed :D

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Afternoon All

Done the first big run on the Turbo in the Camper Superb difference, can't believe I haven't done this before, only one teething problem which we got to the bottom of last night - think this may be a one off, but thought I would share it with you anyway - leaky oil return pipe from the Turbo, this is looking down the back of the engine, freshly wiped clean and you can just see the oil leaking back:

Good news is, the replacement pipe is only £35 new from VW - the not so good news is fitting it LOL:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Afternoon All

Done the first big run on the Turbo in the Camper Superb difference, can't believe I haven't done this before, only one teething problem which we got to the bottom of last night - think this may be a one off, but thought I would share it with you anyway - leaky oil return pipe from the Turbo, this is looking down the back of the engine, freshly wiped clean and you can just see the oil leaking back:

Good news is, the replacement pipe is only £35 new from VW - the not so good news is fitting it LOL:

Fitting that and getting exhaust manifold off are probably the worst part to the conversion.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,278 (Edited)
Hmmm my Boost controller seems to have ceased to work

1.5bar at the moment tried to reduce it but it won't budge , so it either the Turbo smart controller or maybe the wastegate is stuck :cool:

Boost controller

·
Registered
180 Posts
Add me to the list.
It's not pretty but it is done, well all except on of those damned exhaust clamps!
What a git of a job!
My day job helps with working without being able to see what i'm doing, so manifolds came off in under 2 hours but the job still took me a long time!
It is not easy!

·
Registered
180 Posts
So I have upped the fuel tho I have no idea by how much, getting the anti tamper crimp off resulted me turning the screw back and forth all over the place. The idle is faster but not rediculous.
Which way do i turn the actuator on the turbo for more boost?
Make the rod longer or shorter?
Will

2261 - 2280 of 3674 Posts