VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

3581 - 3600 of 3678 Posts

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Gilbz, I'm not interested in the turbo, or the bathroom scales any more ............................ PLEASE JUST TELL US WHAT COLOUR YOU ARE GOING TO PAINT THE BL00DY WHEELS :jmpg:jmpg:jmpg:jmpg:jmpg
I remember the picture with the scales....and I quite literally lashed out loud.
Considering I don't come on here that often I seem to have acquired a strange reputation LOL:

I can see it now if we ever meet.

'Hi guys I'm Gilbz, the man who weighs gearboxes stood on the bathroom scales in the garage':grphg:bhdLOL:

Yeah the wheels are work in progress, but I'll be sure to update my lovable friends on here I:LOL:

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Yes bud I know. I follow you on Facebook. I've also promised myself a run down to santa pod, all because of the racing you do, that I've been following...ok, so now I sound like I'm a stalker...I promise I'm not. Lol
I know the feeling bud!
I've been collecting my turbo stuff for 5 years like I said. I've read through these pages so many times, watched Brooksters videos more than I like to admit.
I feel I know the guy on a personal level.

What makes me have a little chuckle is when Brookster is going through his turbo conversion on the video. He says 'as you can see' quite a few times.

When I watch car programmes they use this phrase all the time so it's reassuring we're being educated by a person who has a mass of knowledge :ILU:T:A:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
I know the feeling bud!
I've been collecting my turbo stuff for 5 years like I said. I've read through these pages so many times, watched Brooksters videos more than I like to admit.
I feel I know the guy on a personal level.

What makes me have a little chuckle is when Brookster is going through his turbo conversion on the video. He says 'as you can see' quite a few times.

When I watch car programmes they use this phrase all the time so it's reassuring we're being educated by a person who has a mass of knowledge :ILU:T:A:

Sorry Gilbz, did not want to get you some sort of weird reputation; but we seem to be lacking 'real characters' on here.

Interesting point about the 'as you can see' syndrome :D Don't think I said that too much when I was presenting on Granada Sky ................... must play back some old programme episodes and double check though LOL:LOL:LOL:

Apologies to Brookster too, no disrespect to the project thread ................... it's epic, and must have encouraged many others not to give up on their 2.4 T:T:T:T:T:

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Ah poop!
Thought I would get on and tackle the fit today but just checking all the parts and it looks like I sent my old turbo back to Rake and the new turbo isn't fitted with the vacuum hose banjo? I just got a small threaded hole.

Looking on the online parts catalogue it doesn't show that side of the turbo.

Any ideas guys what the part numbers are?:confused:

Sorry Gilbz, did not want to get you some sort of weird reputation; but we seem to be lacking 'real characters' on here.

Interesting point about the 'as you can see' syndrome :D Don't think I said that too much when I was presenting on Granada Sky ................... must play back some old programme episodes and double check though LOL:LOL:LOL:

Apologies to Brookster too, no disrespect to the project thread ................... it's epic, and must have encouraged many others not to give up on their 2.4 T:T:T:T:T:
LOL:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not sure what you mean gilbz... That's the pipe that runs to the waste gate right??? If so, then it looks right to me, as all you need to do is put the pipe there?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Not sure what you mean gilbz... That's the pipe that runs to the waste gate right??? If so, then it looks right to me, as all you need to do is put the pipe there?
Yeah that's correct but I don't have that metal fitment!
It's basically a banjo that has the attachment for you to push the pipe onto which goes to waste gate.
That pic I put up is off the net with banjo in place T:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Greetings from Prague!!

Well our 1995 2.4d Caravelle with it's newly fitted turbo has got us as far as Prague on our epic road trip, and it is now having a well earned rest. We have done 930 miles since leaving home on Saturday. Useing approximately two full takes of diesel. I think that works out to be about 30MPG.

The turbo has been a real boon on this trip so far, keeping us up to speed with the Autobahn traffic especial on the inclines.
We are five travelling with luggage etc. for a 4 week trip plus a 3.5 meter inflatable boat and outboard, so we are quite well loaded!

Got a couple of questions though.

Got boost gauge and fitted EGT gauge just before we left.
Our boost is set at 5psi, maybe 5.5.... at low speeds etc EGT barley registers, obviously as we give it more juice the temp goes up... I have been watching it with interest on our journey so far. When cruising on the flat at 70MPH the EGT sit at around 300 deg, a little more into the wind, or up hill... a little less if down hill. To cruise at 80MPH we are pulling a higher temp.. and to hold onto 80 MPH on an incline it tends to go over 500, to around 550. When it has got this high, I have tented to ease back a little and allow the temp to drop... I don't know how high it would go if I kept booting it in these conditions, I haven't had the bottle to test it!

So my questions are this, is it maybe just a little over fuelling? or are these temps to be expected?
If I want to make some adjustments should I turn the fuel down a little or increase the boost a little, at 5psi I know I am significantly below the 0.5-0.6 bar I was aiming for.
Will any damage result from an EGT in excess of 600, or is it simply that there is fuel being wasted.

I would appreciate some input on these points above, I am not looking for out and out performance, but I don't want to risk any damage particularly as I have really only just completed the first leg of an epic trip I can adjust both the fuel and waste gate easily, but I don't have the opportunities for lots of trial and error. I can make and adjustment and then I have to do 300-400 miles before stopping, and may not then have a cool engine to work on, so I really need some insightful advice...
I am all ears and I really like what the turbo has done for our car and our trip.
I am very great full for everyone advice so far and for all the information on this thread and others which I have used to may advantage on this project.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted on my road trip to Crete if your interested, maybe this would be best on a new thread?

@ndy

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Great to hear your feedback!

I'd be interested to hear what EGTs others are running.

My only comment is what I wrote down a while ago when Brookster replied to someone elses comment....

'max EGT's on mine was 640deg max and 1.6bar boost'

I think Brookster was running an intercooler at the time and also a remote oil cooler which could help.

Good luck and keep us informedT:T:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmmm OK, well maybe I will just up the boost a little then and see what happens there then...
if an EGT of 640 is safe then I should be OK.. my boost is around 3.8 Bar at the moment so there is plenty of slack there...

if I have got this wrong, please someone chime in and tell me before I break something.

I will twiddle the waste gate in the morning when I check/top up the fluids, our next planned stop is Belgrade.

@ndy

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Another of Brooksters comments on another forums straight after his turbo fitted but with intercooler.

Been for a test drive and the van now pulls like a train , 0.5bar max at the moment and EGT's are below 500deg C. *<:)>
And another from this thread
One item that helps when fitting the Turbo conversion is the installation of a Boost Gauge but also a EGT Sensor and Gauge to monitor the Exhaust gas temperature .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252mm-EGT-...gAAOSwoudW85Od

The max temp should not be above 720 deg C , anything above that and yo fuel maybe too high or your timing is retarded too much .

It does help when fitting 155bar injectors to advance the timing 2 deg .
Hope this helpsT:

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,600
as above 720deg is the max egt

If you wind the boost up the EGT will go down ;)

i used to run 1.65bar boost which was better all round for the egts etc

with an Intercooler and higher boost the cooler air reduces the exhaust gas temps T:

i used to tow alot and used to see 660deg max egts on low boost , 600deg on high boost

3581 - 3600 of 3678 Posts