VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

3601 - 3620 of 3678 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
it drove alot better at 1.6 bar than 1.2 T:
Brookster to the rescue again.???

Was this with an LDA or standard pump?

And what about the head gasket? Did that cope ok?

Third and final question...totally unrelated, but are you racing your car at VW Action? The reason I ask us because I've promised to take my nephew so he can see your car race.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,604

Third and final question...totally unrelated, but are you racing your car at VW Action? The reason I ask us because I've promised to take my nephew so he can see your car race.
Yes will LDA with modified boost pin

MLS 1.65MM Head gasket

Yes will be racing at vw action just rebuilding the 1.8T Engine with uprated everything T:

·
Premium Member
929 Posts

Sounds like you're wanting more gains French?!

I just tried to fit my intercooler but it ain't happening. Was going for behind the grill but it's too deep. Then went to try behind the bumper but I don't want to cut holes in my newly painted bumper.

Plan B: ordered a T5 intercooler and pop it behind the grill. It's a very slender unit and the outlets are right where there's more space under the headlights T:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes will LDA with modified boost pin

MLS 1.65MM Head gasket

Yes will be racing at vw action just rebuilding the 1.8T Engine with uprated everything T:
Cheers brookster...and thanks again for replying and staying with this thread.

Right...best get my tickets sorted for VW Action...I've got a mk1 Golf 1.8t to take my nephew to see.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like you're wanting more gains French?!

I just tried to fit my intercooler but it ain't happening. Was going for behind the grill but it's too deep. Then went to try behind the bumper but I don't want to cut holes in my newly painted bumper.

Plan B: ordered a T5 intercooler and pop it behind the grill. It's a very slender unit and the outlets are right where there's more space under the headlights T:
Yes gilbz. My confidence is growing,now I know I won't blow the engine. So looking at an intercooler. I like the T5 idea.???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well after three days of T4 ownership and as many days to read this thread from start to finish, I’ve decided to look at this project :)

Lifting the bonnet today, I questioned whether I have arms that are long enough, thin enough and universal jointed enough on the shoulders, elbows and wrists or is it not that bad with the engine in?:confused:

I’m also watching a couple of listings on that auction site if anyone would mind passing an opinion as to their completeness/value for money. PM if better for the forum?

Anyone close to NE Manchester with experience of the swap who could be tempted with some beer tokens to help make the job easier?

Cheers

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know exactly where you're coming from. I remember standing at the front fo my van, bonnet open and scratching my head, wondering if I could get my arms round the back of that inlet manifold.

Well I did, and I'm sure you could too. ...and if I was closer I'd defo give you a hand.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Well after three days of T4 ownership and as many days to read this thread from start to finish, I’ve decided to look at this project :)

Lifting the bonnet today, I questioned whether I have arms that are long enough, thin enough and universal jointed enough on the shoulders, elbows and wrists or is it not that bad with the engine in?:confused:

I’m also watching a couple of listings on that auction site if anyone would mind passing an opinion as to their completeness/value for money. PM if better for the forum?

Anyone close to NE Manchester with experience of the swap who could be tempted with some beer tokens to help make the job easier?

Cheers
It is daunting at first looking at it,it took me a just over week of doing it in the evenings as a bit of a novice and there were a few moments of despair when I was thinking to myself what the heck have I started here but got there in the end,the inlet is the hardest part to get off but not impossible,as for the turbo 'kits' you buy you will need to buy additional parts,on page 349 I listed every single part I had to buy,I would say go for it,you won't regret it and if you get stuck along the way we'll all be here to help T:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks both for the words of encouragement! I’ve done things like cambelt replacement in the past but that looked reasonably straightforward in terms of access etc.

Nice to know there’s plenty of ‘virtual’ assistance available! T:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Once you get the inlet off the access is pretty good,the 2 dipstick tubes bolts are a bugger to get off,you may be lucky and they come loose,failing that the oil filter needs to be taken off to get better access,then putting it back together is the easy part,good luck T:T:

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
LOL:

I was doing some work on mine last week and had a 'feel' for the inlet bolts.
I counted 6 thinking that was that, then looked at the 2.5 inlet and had a grope for the others LOL:

So what's the best tool for this?

I read a ball ended allen key, but after my fumble I think a multiple of lengths are needed?:*

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I used an Allen key socket with multiple length extensions,at one point I considered using my 9yr old boys little hands!LOL:

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I used an Allen key socket with multiple length extensions,at one point I considered using my 9yr old boys little hands!LOL:
LOL:
When my lad started his apprenticeship with VW they found a use for him as they also worked on MAN trucks, rewire jobs were so much easier with a skinny teen in the workshop LOL:

·
Registered
232 Posts
LOL:

I was doing some work on mine last week and had a 'feel' for the inlet bolts.
I counted 6 thinking that was that, then looked at the 2.5 inlet and had a grope for the others LOL:

So what's the best tool for this?

I read a ball ended allen key, but after my fumble I think a multiple of lengths are needed?:*
Yes, I used the ball ended Allen keys. Worked for me.

3601 - 3620 of 3678 Posts