VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

3641 - 3660 of 3680 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks Brookster...this is where it all gets a bit complicated for me.

I take it you mean the fuel ump timing? I'm starting to read and research this now as I'm right at the very beginning of understanding it all. Been watching YouTube and reading up on the net what pump timing, advance, retard mean... Slowly starting to understand it.

Thanks again for replying.

Frenchy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
timing may be too far advanced

Thanks for all the years of graft and ongoing support and development?
My mates have directed me to your extensive thread as I've been asked to fit a turbo to an AAB.

After doing the belts and his refurbed OEM injectors I have an AJT kit with FMIC to fit for him.
What timing settings do you recommend for an OEM setup?
The early turbo'd versions of these engines moved from 1.00 static on the gauge to 0.8, 0.85, 0.9mm?

Are you still running a Volvo K16 turbo setup with 2.5"DP to achieve the boost and 170bhp?
What did you achieve with the standard pump and injectors, is the LDA route a fuelling necessity?
Does your pump still use the OEM 8F pump head or has it been upgraded as well?
Any idea what the standard injectors flow and Rakes PP3's by comparison?

Apologies for the questions but 364 pages is a lifetime of possible answers for a few reasonable questions?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,643
Thanks for all the years of graft and ongoing support and development?
My mates have directed me to your extensive thread as I've been asked to fit a turbo to an AAB.

After doing the belts and his refurbed OEM injectors I have an AJT kit with FMIC to fit for him.
What timing settings do you recommend for an OEM setup?
The early turbo'd versions of these engines moved from 1.00 static on the gauge to 0.8, 0.85, 0.9mm?

Are you still running a Volvo K16 turbo setup with 2.5"DP to achieve the boost and 170bhp?
What did you achieve with the standard pump and injectors, is the LDA route a fuelling necessity?
Does your pump still use the OEM 8F pump head or has it been upgraded as well?
Any idea what the standard injectors flow and Rakes PP3's by comparison?

Apologies for the questions but 364 pages is a lifetime of possible answers for a few reasonable questions?

Cheers,
i don't have a T4 anymore

LDA is require for fuel control under boost

4 deg advance with the Turbo conversion , if its retarded too much the egts get too high as the fuel cannot burn quick enough

120bhp with standard pump but with 155bar injectors ( standard are 130bar )

·
Registered
275 Posts
i don't have a T4 anymore

LDA is require for fuel control under boost

4 deg advance with the Turbo conversion , if its retarded too much the egts get too high as the fuel cannot burn quick enough

120bhp with standard pump but with 155bar injectors ( standard are 130bar )
Hello Brookster
Is the ABL engine injector ''155 bar'' compatible?
Can the ABL injector be plugged into the AJA motor?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning all.

i have sat a read the first 60 plus pages of this thread and its made me see i have some issues with my van.
first off i brought my first T4 7 weeks ago. I was told its a 2.4 AAB with a turbo bolted on. the guy i got it from didn't do it and new very little about the van.

i have no idea what the turbo is. and it has no intercooler. BUT its running almost 1 bar!!!! and smokes like a train under boost.
i have brought an intercooler since starting to read this thread and a boost controller.

my main issue (apart from the issues the high boost could have caused) is it idles at 1000 rpm and it has no adjustment. i cant undo the screw anymore for the idle control on the pump.

if i lower the boost will this bring the idle down?

now for the bit that will probably make you all think i am nuts. on the 10th i will be going with the wife on a 2k road trip. from down south to Scotland and back. (not more that 350 miles a day)

i just want to make it last the trip. then after i will rebuild everything and fit intercooler.

any help will be great guys. please. ;-)

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Good morning all.

i have sat a read the first 60 plus pages of this thread and its made me see i have some issues with my van.
first off i brought my first T4 7 weeks ago. I was told its a 2.4 AAB with a turbo bolted on. the guy i got it from didn't do it and new very little about the van.

i have no idea what the turbo is. and it has no intercooler. BUT its running almost 1 bar!!!! and smokes like a train under boost.
i have brought an intercooler since starting to read this thread and a boost controller.

my main issue (apart from the issues the high boost could have caused) is it idles at 1000 rpm and it has no adjustment. i cant undo the screw anymore for the idle control on the pump.

if i lower the boost will this bring the idle down?

now for the bit that will probably make you all think i am nuts. on the 10th i will be going with the wife on a 2k road trip. from down south to Scotland and back. (not more that 350 miles a day)

i just want to make it last the trip. then after i will rebuild everything and fit intercooler.

any help will be great guys. please. ;-)
I would turn down the fuel screw first,it's probably been turned up too much and should reduce your smoke and idle once turned down a bit,once you've fitted the intercooler 1 bar of boost is fine,without the intercooler I would turn it down to 0.6 bar, ideally you need an egt gauge to tell if fuelling is at an appropriate level T:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Breathing life back into this thread and hopefully my seemingly gutless abb....

I’m getting all the bits together for this conversion and am pretty much there now but would appreciate any pointers possible for the airbox to turbine induction pipe/fittings and what’s worked for you?

I’ve got the old style cylindrical air filter in the barrel type air box and would like to keep as ‘stock’ as standard if possible.

The van came with a piper filter and I was glad to get back to standard and away from the roar of the ‘upgrade’

Am I right in assuming I need to get from 70mm from the airbox to 50mm at the turbo flange through a couple of bends in the process?

I only intend running at 0.6 boost so hoping to avoid an inter cooler if possible.

Any pointers from your induction setup/experience?

Cheers

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you have the original pipework from the donor you should find that you can use a mix of the aab airbox and a combination of the pipework from both. That's how mine works anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,654 (Edited)
Good afternoon everyone

sorry i havn't been on here for a while i've been busy this year with the Business & Dragons Den - https://youtu.be/8PxE0bQX_ww

T:

You shold be able to run 1bar boost with no intercooler and no major issues , if your getting loads of smoke at 0.6bar you need to turn the fueling down or increase the boost to burn the excess fuel .

Fuel feeds boost but if your on STANDARD wastegate pressure you will only get 0.6bar max no matter how much you increase the fuel and the EGT's will increase due to the excess fuel.

Fit a manual boost controller for £10 to increase the boost T:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bloody hell Mate. Well done. Delighted for ya. Great news you got the dragons on board.
You’re a mighty bit of stuff. Good luck with the partnership. Dan.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Well done Brookster, I bet that was bloody nerve racking, as they started to pull out I thought he's lost it here but you got there in the end, good luck with the new venture mate T:

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,657
Well done Brookster, I bet that was bloody nerve racking, as they started to pull out I thought he's lost it here but you got there in the end, good luck with the new venture mate T:
Thank you T:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fuel feeds boost but if your on STANDARD wastegate pressure you will only get 0.6bar max no matter how much you increase the fuel and the EGT's will increase due to the excess fuel.

Fit a manual boost controller for £10 to increase the boost T:[/QUOTE
]

That’s helpful, I’d wound the wastegate rod pretty much to the end of the thread without any obvious variance.

One other noticeable issue is juddering at low revs, I’m enjoying the improved ‘pull’ but find the van needs far more work through the lower gears when driving round town.

Any link to the above/fuelling?

3641 - 3660 of 3680 Posts