VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new van. 2.4d with manual box.

It will not engage 2nd when changing down unless I 'pretend' to put it in 1st and then go into 2nd.
This I can live with and suspected it may be a simple worn linkage or similar.

Now the problem has got worse on my drive home yesterday. It now struggles to engage 5th gear. I can get it in eventually but there doesn't seem to be a 'technique' to it and being overtaken by lorries while fighting for 5th is not ideal!

When in gear it drives fine.

Any ideas before I get my spanners out!?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,836 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just picked up my new van. 2.4d with manual box.

It will not engage 2nd when changing down unless I 'pretend' to put it in 1st and then go into 2nd.
This I can live with and suspected it may be a simple worn linkage or similar.

Now the problem has got worse on my drive home yesterday. It now struggles to engage 5th gear. I can get it in eventually but there doesn't seem to be a 'technique' to it and being overtaken by lorries while fighting for 5th is not ideal!

When in gear it drives fine.

Any ideas before I get my spanners out!?

Cheers
hi bevan,does the gearstick feel as if its floping around in a bucket?if so check the bushes on the gear kinkages first,had the same prob with my t4,set of new bushes sorted it out.hope this helps,joeT:

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Mine is hard to go from 1st to 2nd so I just pull of in 2nd lol I think all VW suffer from bad gears , just need to replace all the plastic bits and good as new . 1mm hear and there ends up about 2inch at the gear stick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This all sounds like good news.. I'll have a quick look at the bushes etc and see what's needed.

Off to bustypes later to sell my air-cooled t25 to fund the new t4 project so will probably tackle this Monday.

Short shift mod definitely on the cards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts