VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just got the van running and have now had the the gearbox rattle and judder diagnosed as bearings! so I need to find somewhere to get it refurbished / replaced, can anyone suggest a good place, look forward to hearing from anyone who can help on this, many thanks...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi there i cant suggest a place but can i ask your symptoms? I have a clatter and a rattle on idle it goes if i build revs up or dip the clutch goes quiet then comes back again get a little judder in 1st and reverse pulling away was wondering if its likely to be gearbox or clutch relase bearing, so just on an off chance seeing if yours is like this too? Dont want to do relase bearing and then find the box bearings are gone if i could do them while its out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, will be finding out a bit more about mine tomorrow, it's at it's noisiest between 1000 and 1500 rpm, cruises along fine at higher revs, had a range of responses as to what it is and am going to find out more, will let you know , Rob

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi there i cant suggest a place but can i ask your symptoms? I have a clatter and a rattle on idle it goes if i build revs up or dip the clutch goes quiet then comes back again get a little judder in 1st and reverse pulling away was wondering if its likely to be gearbox or clutch relase bearing, so just on an off chance seeing if yours is like this too? Dont want to do relase bearing and then find the box bearings are gone if i could do them while its out
mine is just like that and has been since i brought it back in 2006 with 114,000 on the clock. if the idle was very slightly higher you wouldnt even notice it was there. i have now covered 174,000 and had a complete clutch/DMF kit at 142,000 which made no difference to the idle rumble. mine also judders when pulling away but when its warmed up its ok.
if i could just raise my idle another 20 - 30rpm i would be happy not to hear it again :cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts
mine is just like that and has been since i brought it back in 2006 with 114,000 on the clock. if the idle was very slightly higher you wouldnt even notice it was there. i have now covered 174,000 and had a complete clutch/DMF kit at 142,000 which made no difference to the idle rumble. mine also judders when pulling away but when its warmed up its ok.
if i could just raise my idle another 20 - 30rpm i would be happy not to hear it again :cool:
Im quite paranoid about it amd dont know if il ever trust the noise lol last motor that did that was my mk3 golf from when i heard it just 2days after doing waterpump did a 35mile round trip for a McDonald's Haha parked up next night drove into town 4miles then heard a hell of a clatter sounded like a cv joint gone parked at my pals and a pool of oil that noise was 7 holes in the box casing, i might just wind idle screw up a bit so i don't have too hear it for now sounds like edward scissor hands chugging one off

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, had one diagnosis that it's the output shaft bearing, but seeing it's going to cost a fair bit to fix I think I'm going to live with it, have been told that it shouldn't damage the gearbox! will go and see John the box when I'm next passing Swansea and see what he says...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts