VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a 1996 2.4d engine LWB and changed the engine due to old one using 3lt of oil over 900 miles, the clutch thrust bearing went on the old engine so it was a perfect time to change the lump. I had a good second hand engine and had fitted by VW stealers all new belts and water pump etc and pump timing set etc with engine out of vehicle (1.5 hours labour T:). I have used the original pump and injectors and the van runs and starts fine except instead of getting 38miles to the gallon (=3lts of engine oil) on a long drive around france (900 miles) on all types of roads and speeds I am now getting about 20 to the gallon although I'm not doing very long runs but I would have thought I would get more than 20. dDo you think it could be pump timing ie does it need a little bit of advance?. I have jacked up van and there are no barkes binding. Any thoughts on this?

Alan

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Sounds about right. My 2.4D only did around 25MPG and it's a SWB. The problem is that they are so under powered that you have to thrash them everywhere to get them to go. VW fitted quite close ratios to compensate for the low power figure so revs are always higher than what is ideal for good economy. On a run the figures are much better because once the engine is upto speed it's alot easier to hold it there than slowing down and speeding up all the time. I would imagine that your engine is set up better than it was before and although you managed to get higher MPG figures it was probably running lean and possible running on it's own oil aswell!

·
Registered
332 Posts
My 2.4d is giving about 25 mpg which I'm not happy with, just changed the fuel filter and will do air & oil to see if that helps, some people clearly get 35mpg plus and I want to get the same my vans costing a small fortune to run!

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Never get below 30mpg, usually around 35ish.
Can't agree with having to thrash it everywhere, mine's not exactly fast but it's got loads of grunt, just keeps pulling even at silly low revs, and to be honest I don't notice much mpg drop even if cruising at 80/85mph.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Everyone. My 2.4 has 240000 miles on the clock and runs like a train all day and returns 30-35 mpg. 20 mpg is a bit low, something must be wrong. Usual things are: blocked fuel filter and air filter, stretched accelorater cable. Also when my cat exhaust was on the way out it slowed the van down, a decat exhaust soon sorted that out.

John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts