VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then chaps, need to pick your brains. sorry if this is long winded but need to give all the background.

just got the van running after the rebuild. New piston rings, bearings, crank seal etc, new head, new clutch new oil/air/fuel filter etc etc.

had some damage to the diesel pump when the engine fell over. It bent the bracket/arm for the accelerator cable. Replaced the arm but the it was pissing diesel out of the spindle.

I decided i had nothing to lose and stripped the pump in situe. Turned out the brass bush/collar thing had been knocked in slightly so tapped it back out, rebuilt and hey presto, no leaks.

Took the van for a run and the engine sounds spot on but theres just no power. Now before the 2.4 bashers and the TDi boys come along, this van had a lot more power before the rebuild. Its struggling to hit 50mph on a long flat road.

its as though the vans restricted and not opening up enough. Id read about getting the spindle in the wrong place when people have took the arm off the diesel pump so i slackened it off and moved it round one spline. started the van and it was revving the balls off it. so i put it back.

Ive taken up all the slack in the accelerator cable and it has improved the feel of the pedal, but not the performance.

The timing was set up by my uncle the old manual way, done properly locked in place, pump moved, depth micrometer in the end of the pump, set up to 0.9 i think it was (dont quote me on this) by the book. Engine starts first turn of the key, doesnt sound lumpy etc.

So, what could it be.....?

What would the effects be if the air filter wasnt fitted properly and it wasnt getting enough air?

what about if there was air in the fuel lines? (havent tried cracking off the injectors since taking the pump to bits but it was done when the pump was fitted)

fuel filters brand new so cant see that being a problem.

Theres no travel left in the pedal so even if i adjusted the lower screw on the pump to allow the arm to open up more, the pedal wouldnt allow it.

Im stumped :confused:

any help much appreciated

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Could be anything but I would start with:

Blip the throttle from idle and see how quickly it picks up.

- If it picks up as it should increase the fuelling on the pump.
- If it picks up very slowly or you have to hold your foot down a little longer than a blip advance the pump timing by rotating the pump forwards. The pump settings on the 2.4D are next to useless.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Could be anything but I would start with:

Blip the throttle from idle and see how quickly it picks up.

- If it picks up as it should increase the fuelling on the pump.
- If it picks up very slowly or you have to hold your foot down a little longer than a blip advance the pump timing by rotating the pump forwards. The pump settings on the 2.4D are next to useless.
+1 Set the pump timing by ear and performance.

Worn pumps make the dti gauge way useless.

·
offside customs
1,818 Posts
timing nick advance till she pinks and clatters then turn her back a bit until the diesel knock quiters down 1500revs

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Diesel Pulse adaptor is needed to get the timing perfect T:

i have one and i'm only up the road :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
i'm wondering if it's air in system like mine after running out of fuel on on trip to the tip with a full load (false reading on the fuel gauage)

i've gotta get it looked at proplery tho as just putting in more fuel and hopping for the best is not fixing it lol

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
It's not the accelerator cable is it Nick?? Stretched or something simalar??

I'm probably talking rubbish though ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi did u find out what is up with yours I have the same problem after rebuild tuck over sounds sweet As a nut but if u driver it it won't go past 55 and there is no pull at all in it really slow till u get into 4 then it drives ok put won't go past 55 even if I drop it a gear not cable took timing off 5 times can I advance the timin sorry for using ur thread

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you got the pump inlet/outlet banjo bolts the right way round...smaller calibrated hole goes on the outlet and should be the correct one for the pump

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep clear hose on the belt side or the right side and the blue hose on top of the pump.. plumbed the pump with a can to c if it made a diff do nothing new runs lovely wouldn't pull u out of bed with foot to the floor

·
Registered
110 Posts
I even redid the timing with a half a tooth and then full tooth both ways doesn't telly make a diff just a bit notey I retrad it but a but Peppy I I advance it but still 45 mile each gear has its on speed even if u go from 5 to 3 it drops to the speed it does in 3 only if that makes sense

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yep clear hose on the belt side or the right side and the blue hose on top of the pump.. plumbed the pump with a can to c if it made a diff do nothing new runs lovely wouldn't pull u out of bed with foot to the floor
wasn't talking about the pipes,the actual banjo bolts that hold the pipes on are different,inlet has a big hole outlet small hole..get them the wrong way round and the fuel mainly goes back to the tank instead of into the engine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts