VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have finally put the front of the van back together and taken it out for a spin. This is a vid of a brief overtaking move. I took this vid so I can compare it to when the van is set up properly. At the minute it's running 0.8Bar peak boost and the fueling is reasonably lean. Boost will be set to 1.1Bar with fueling to match when set up (assuming EGT's allow). It is a little flat but even now an improvement can be seen over the 2.4D standard acceleration. May be of interest to those considering doing this mod.T:

·
Registered
333 Posts
thank you for that...... I was 'seriously considering' the mod... now on the definate side of things..... T:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you happy with it Jon, mine still makes me smile T:
For the money it's cost I'm not particularly happy with it, if I'm honest. I think it's a great mod but I would suggest to definitely use VW parts over Volvo ones and probably just stick to the smaller gains given by the quick bolt on method rather than removing the head and going to the extent I have. I have turned the fueling up and it goes alot better now so I when it's all set up properly I may change my mind.

That was in 4th gear but bare in mind my van weighs exactly 1900KG with all the kit in it. Add me and fuel and it's not a lightweight by any means. Obviously, the lighter the van the more performance you will gain. I might add another vid to this thread later on from a standing start so you can get real life figures of what's achievable from this engine. One thing I will say is that it's a very smooth engine now. Probably due to the extent of the headwork. If you want more power from your 2.4D is certainly do-able.:ILU:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I tried to take another vid of my 2.4D now it's in it's second state of tune but my phone is useless.
Look upon this as more of an audiable experience.:D

It is a standing start from a junction.

1st to 15mph
2nd to 35mph
3rd to 55mph
4th to 80mph
5th to erm, a little bit more but definately not 90 mph.I:

I will try and get up a decent quality vid soon but you may need to watch it in full size with the sound up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEN7K7Jm8-Y

EDit: It won't embed!:bhd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just fin mine today all vw 2.5 acv parts! with kkk turbo, defo makes a difference up the hills and mines a syncro 2.4D, just wondering what you finally set the fueling at etc? keep up the good work mate!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I tried to take another vid of my 2.4D now it's in it's second state of tune but my phone is useless.
Look upon this as more of an audiable experience.:D

It is a standing start from a junction.

1st to 15mph
2nd to 35mph
3rd to 55mph
4th to 80mph
5th to erm, a little bit more but definately not 90 mph.I:

I will try and get up a decent quality vid soon but you may need to watch it in full size with the sound up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEN7K7Jm8-Y

EDit: It won't embed!:bhd
My T4 1997 2,4 D .

1 st to 25 mph max
2 st to 37,5 mph
3 st to 62.5 mph max
4 st sto 85 mph max

0 - 100 18 sec non turbo

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That vid was taken a while ago. The van is quicker than that now but even then it was hitting 60mph in around 8 secs. It's naff quality but 60mph is dead vertical on the dial. I really should get up a decent quality vid of what a turbo'd 2.4D is capable of.

Edit: This is a standard 2.4D accelerating. In my vid the camera stops at 95mph. (On the private road I was on...)I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqsjUq9TO5A&feature=related

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure what the torque figure is at the minute as I'm not sure what the HP is at the minute either. If I get time I will drop it on the rollers at the end of the week, assuming they have room to fit me in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts