VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, sorry for another ACV pump timing thread and believe me I've trawled through them looking for an answer but the story for my problem is,
cam-belt failure, so head completely refurbished at the local engine builders, new belt kit fitted, all timing marks lined up correctly and tensioned accordingly, bled the fuel through the injectors and the van wouldn't start, persevered and it eventually coughed and spluttered into life (lots of white smoke so I was assuming the timing was retarded?) and I only ran it for a few seconds coz I knew I would need vagcom to adjust the timing accurately. borrowed vagcom from my mate today and I can't get the van to start to see where the pump timing IS never mind set it. i don't have a DTI to set the pump but I was kinda hoping if I set the pump up using the timing marks the van would at least start to give me a chance of setting it up on vagcom.
so my question is? is there anything I can do with the pump timing to at least try and get the van started so I can find out via vagcom what bloody direction I need to go in? many thanks in advance for any advice given

·
Registered
403 Posts
All I can suggest mate is move the cam sprocket for the pump to advance it. I put some tape on the belt to the head then cut the tape to give me a mark to work to. You only need to move it a couple of mm to make alot of difference to the timing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would go back and double check the main cambelt timing first. Is the camshaft bang on time with the crank! Then go back to the pump timing. Maybe the cam has shifted on the engine timing sprocket. Hope you get it sorted. Usually something simple....good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply guys, i got it running spot on after retarding the timing as far as i could with the camshaft sprocket for the pump belt then fine tuned it using the idler for the pump belt. Had vagcom plugged in when doing this and got it as near as i could and i'll fettle it some more when i have the time.T:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts