VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys and gals.
im going to blank my egr valve off sometime this week but im wondering is it actually worth stripping it fully off to clean out??
i keep reading different bits and bobs which is confusing me slightly.
i was just going to shove a blanking plate in and have done with it, is it necessary to have it cleaned out as after all im blanking it off so its not going to work as it should do

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you blank off the exhaust feed into the valve then it won't recirculate the exhaust gases anymore.
Over the years it will have accumulated a fair amount of gunge in the valve and in the intake manifold, and will probably be restricting the airflow. When I did mine, I took the valve off and fettled it with carburetor cleaner. I used new gaskets (cheap enough from VW) and also blocked the vacuum line so the valve doesn't open either (put a small bolt in it and tie wrapped it). She's now breaths fresh air !
If you really want to go to town you (and some have) take off the inlet manifold and fettled that - a step too far for me. I use Diesel Rhino so I'm counting on continued use of this to dissolve the gunge in the manifold over time.

If you do clean it, wear gloves and be careful it's horrible nasty stuff and gets everywhere.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, it doesnt seem to be much to take it off and give it a clean so will prob do the same as you and just leave the manifold.
we use a diesel treatment at work called Forte which is good stuff so i'll prob run a few bottles of that through after.
the only thing i got confused about really was why clean the egr valve if its not going to be used and be blanked off?
is there any more pipes that come off it for airflow or anything? im yet to have the intercooler off and out the way to suss the job out

·
Registered
241 Posts
AJT doesn't have an intercooler as standard, but doesn't make any difference to the valve though.
You'll have to remove it to get at the valve.
4 Allen bolts to manifold and 2 Allen bolts to the exhaust pipe.
Some buy 2 blanking plates and remove the pipe all together, I just did the top end.
There's a vacuum pipe which operates the valve at the top - you can reconnect it if you like but I put a small bolt in it as advised by chap at VW when I bought the gaskets - he had a T4 too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input.
The intercooler has been fitted extra somewhere down the line as none of the proper mounting brackets are there.
Will get these gaskets ordered and see how I go.
The van runs sweet at the mo but it'd be nice to know its breathing on fresh air instead of exhaust fumes

·
Registered
154 Posts
In answer to your query about cleaning it's the crud build up in the intake pipe & elbow that you want to clean out - the egr valve just happens to be attached to the pipe and is the source of the deposits. As others have said the AJT does not have an intercooler as standard - either yours has been modified, or it's not an AJT.

EGR blank and clean out was one of the first jobs I did a few years back - and it made a noticeable difference. Eventually I took the inlet manifold off and did that too, which also helped. Bit of a fiddly job though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it's definitely been modified, I've had intercooler off today and could tell that the hoses aren't original.
I've blanked egr off today using two blanks one on the top and one at the bottom of the egr valve pipe and disconnected the vacuum pipe that's attached to it.
I've not cleaned the unit out as was a bit pushed for time but had a look inside and it didn't look over the top gunged up so thought to just see how I go with it.
I've done about 15 miles in it tonight and it seems all good so far, couldn't make my mind up if it has improved it's running or if it's all in my head knowing that it's now breathing fresh air?? Either way I know it's going to do it some good.
Also chucked a forte injector cleaner in the tank too so that's also going to help

·
Registered
364 Posts
im not slagging off rhino juice mate but how does it clean the manifold , it doesnt , it cant . :)
If you blank off the exhaust feed into the valve then it won't recirculate the exhaust gases anymore.
Over the years it will have accumulated a fair amount of gunge in the valve and in the intake manifold, and will probably be restricting the airflow. When I did mine, I took the valve off and fettled it with carburetor cleaner. I used new gaskets (cheap enough from VW) and also blocked the vacuum line so the valve doesn't open either (put a small bolt in it and tie wrapped it). She's now breaths fresh air !
If you really want to go to town you (and some have) take off the inlet manifold and fettled that - a step too far for me. I use Diesel Rhino so I'm counting on continued use of this to dissolve the gunge in the manifold over time.

If you do clean it, wear gloves and be careful it's horrible nasty stuff and gets everywhere.

·
Registered
823 Posts
That's what I thought ! I'm guessing you momentarily confused petrol for diesel manifolds. I had to change my turbo a couple of years ago and while I was there I removed and cleaned the inlet manifold. Stinker of a job to remove but a 1/4 inch socket set with a flexi bar helps. I used caustic soda (careful now fellas) to clean it up in no time.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I blanked off my 1.9TD EGR but did not clean out the pipe. Could not see the point in cleaning out a pipe that I had delberately blocked! I could tell the difference immediately, it was not a massive power gain but it just spins up smoother and slightly quicker T:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think if I was having problems before hand like lack of power I'd of prob stripped it all down and gave it a good clean out but the van was running sweet anyway.
Not noticed any difference really but maybe a good run to blast any out and I might notice it.
It was just another job on that endless to do list

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
OK. Maybe a bit contenscious, but. I cleaned and blanked the egr on my 2.5 ajt, when the van was at about 55000 miles.
Yes. as said by others the engine just seemed to spin up more freely, without any noticeable power gain or anything though.
Much later, at over 100000 miles, I was having a few issues with ( later replaced injectors which solved it) the exhaust being a bit smoky with unburnt fuel.
So. I reinstated the egr. Bearing in mind it was now totally clean as it effectively had been unused for 50k miles.
Reinstating it had no adverse effect whatsoever as far as engine still span up freely etc.
I'm utterly convinced that cleaning them and leaving as they are is possibly the way to go. :*

·
Registered
403 Posts
that forte fuel additive is the best stuff ive used so far on my van . it was running lumpy when cold even after egr clean and blank put that in when fuel was low and all is good much smoother on tick over and when accelerating .i think that the injectors were gummed up . seems to have worked . T:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
So. I reinstated the egr. Bearing in mind it was now totally clean as it effectively had been unused for 50k miles.
Did you inspect the inlet manifold to verify this?
The reason I ask is that there is a belief that the oily breather air will eventually wash the inlet manifold clean. I think that is BS!, unless you just mean the EGR venturi (which is very easy to remove & clean anyway).

There isn't enough oil in the air that is fed into the engine to wash that much gunk away (from the whole inlet manifold).
This was also confirmed by the man with the very high powered T4 (I believe his name was shadow maker?). He tried it and verified that after many thousands of mile of use the inlet manifold was still caked in sludge/soot.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
.........................If you really want to go to town you (and some have) take off the inlet manifold and fettled that - a step too far for me. I use Diesel Rhino so I'm counting on continued use of this to dissolve the gunge in the manifold over time....................
Will Diesel Rhino actually get to the inlet manifold ??? Thought that was just air plus whatever muck has come from the EGR.

I think the Rhino will be in the fuel line and not the airways.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts

Reinstating it had no adverse effect whatsoever as far as engine still span up freely etc.
I'm utterly convinced that cleaning them and leaving as they are is possibly the way to go. :*
The only thing that I would say about this, and it is well documented on numerous other threads on here, is that by not blanking the EGR you are allowing cr8p from the exhaust to get dragged back into the engine. It is worth remembering that that is the stuff that blocked the EGR in the first place so do you really want to start letting it back into your engine again?!:eek:

Up to you of course T:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use Diesel Rhino so I'm counting on continued use of this to dissolve the gunge in the manifold over time.
Isn't the AJT direct injection though? Fuel goes straight into the cylinders, not through the inlet manifold so won't have any cleaning effect there?

·
Registered
229 Posts
So are we in favour or not in favour of this mod?
I have run a 1.9PD road car for many miles with the egr completely removed.
I did this after seeing cars so heavily coked up down the manifold and into the cylinder head ports to the back of the valves that the remaining air space was hardly big enough to fit a hacksaw blade down. It isn't just the egr that needs cleaning over time, it is the whole intake tract.
Just google blocked egr images and you will get some impression of how strangled the breathing of your engines can become by leaving the egr functioning.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thinking about it, if the EGR is blanked it's only air that's going to go through the inlet manifold. DR is good but not that good.
Bit of a brain sneeze!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts