VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Over the weekend my bus stopped charging and would occasionally kick back in…
I’ve seen a few posts on here mention changing the brushes and regulator unit but almost always on other engines… is this possible with a 2.5 AXD engine?
The alternator is a 180amp unit.
I’d like to try this first if it possible before changing the alternator itself
Also are there any other things to check (the battery is brand new, I had to buy one as the one on the bus died while we was out)

Thanks in advance
Adam

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,338 Posts
Officially it's bumper off and pull the front panel/radiators back on guide pins. It is possible to change the regulator without pulling the front back but it is bit of a squeeze. You need to take the front engine mounting off unbolt the alternator and tilt the back end down for access. You can replace the alternator freewheel and the coupling at the same time by tilting the front end down. I wrote a guide (below) for anyone that wants to do this. :)

You can't actually replace the alternator this way because it can't physically be removed from the engine.

This was the regulator on mine a few years ago..

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but what’s the freewheel? Is this just the alternator pulley?

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,338 Posts
It's the toothed pulley shown the guide. It's not like a standard pulley, It has a one way clutch inside it. It should be able to slip slightly. It gives the alternator and the gear drive an easier time by damping vibration. The A/C compressor has an identical freewheel. They should be changed along with the rubber drive coupling roughly every 100k. Almost all alternators (even belt driven ones) have these but they often get overlooked. It's easier to spot with belt driven alternator because they usually cause slipping or a jumping belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the whole alternator and flexible coupling in the end, it’s my daily driver and I needed it back in action
Thank you for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts