VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all , whats the deal with the alternator on a 2.5 174 ?

not come across anything like it before . my fanbelt is still there and going round , my alternator is not :confused:

is there some sort of clutch mechanism in the alternator pulley ? looks like a pain of a job to get the alternator out , any help would be greatly apreciated .

thanks
steve

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no alternator dos'nt turn at all , at tick over or anywhere else in the rev range and battery light is on .

poked my head underneath and from what i can see which is'nt a lot to be honest , and the alternator is'nt turning with the belt , looks like the outer part of the pulley is turning and the inner is not .

can only think there is a clutch or coupling of some sort between the two parts of the pully and its gone . alternator is definantly not siezed as i can get a screw driver on the inner part of the pulley and its spins over freely .

guess i'll have to whip it of and take a a look , maybe something as silly as the pulley retaining bolt has worked loose ?

damn silly arrangement though , i've never seen anything like it

steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
just had the same on my 130

had the gate coupling replaced and lasted bout 50 miles and stripped again.

the alternator/charging is of the intelligent variety, i.e ecu controlled.

there is a freewheel to the alternator that can sieze but the alt can also seize as was the costly outcome to mine

250+vat for the alternator, 40 for the coupling and 150 for labour!!!:eek:

front end off job!!!A:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts