VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to posting and normally trawl this forum to learn from others in understanding how to trouble shoot and fix my 2005 shuttle (2.5 AXD). Over the years we've covered 195K and I've tackled most of the jobs that these can suffer from, turbo's vanes sticking, drive shafts splines, gearbox, cracked manifold etc etc, but never been able to resolve the excessive oil consumption issue. Whilst originally within VW spec, this has now reached epic proportions, guzzling around 1 litre every 400 miles or so, I've no leaks and fitted a new oem turbo, PCI valve, tried a valve stem oil seal conditioner etc, come the the conclusion that the design problem with the bore lining wearing out and letting oil passed the oil rings is the culprit. My question and advice that I'm looking for is, who do you recommend I trust to carry out a full rebuild/recondition of my AXD engine. I've heard that there can be issues when re-sleeving these and some suffer from oil starvation on the cams/rockers, as you can tell I'm nervous of spending £3K on something that might not be carried out by those in the know, any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I had the same problem and found the chrome worn off on 1 cylinder. After struggling to find a good cheap engine, I decided the only way was to rebuild mine with a new liner. I used "The engine shop" who machined the block and fitted a new liner.

With all new bearings, bolts, rings and machining it came to £770. But you'll have to screw it together yourself.

I hope to refit mine this weekend. The engine shop only took a few days to do the machining.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts