VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our van has a power steering leak, and the aircon no longer works, I have checked the aircon free wheel and its duff, the reason it don't work is pressure related, of course I have to remove the aircon pump to get at the PS pump anyway, so may replace them both at the same time (I know the aircon hub can be changed, but I've lost refrigerent pressure somewhere...)

There are some stupidly cheap PS pumps available (so cheap I wonder if they should be avoided), my question is, what should I buy?
Used genuine? Or is there a good quality/good value after market pump available? I won't be buying new genuine!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Well it was cheap! I paid £60. It certainly looks like a good quality pump but it was noisy (whining) from the word go. However there was no problem at all with the warranty though and I fitted the replacement today and it's perfect. I guess it's up to you. If I'd noticed Johnso's Meyle pump at £138 I would probably have gone for that. Many of the others I saw on ebay and elsewhere had no known manufacturer so they could have been a Chinese one reboxed for £100 more.

I doubt if any sensible garage would fit anything other than genuine or a known name supplied by them unless you were happy to pay in full again if it was a dud. Buy genuine unless you do all your own work.

I also fitted a new power steering pipe which was split on the rubber hose section. £112.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts