VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks....looking for a bit of advice please. I took a chance and purchased a T5 with a “blown turbo” last week. Upon further inspection it appears the turbo doesn’t appear to be too bad. Nothing broken and minimal play. The oil is way over maximum so I’m assuming it has fuel in the oil. I’m just draining the oil at the moment and was wondering if anyone could send me in the right direction to go checking? Thanks I’m advance
Steve

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd be looking at injector seals as they are in the head and while there check for signs of any cracks in the head around the injectors.
How did the can start? Any signs of being tampered with already ie silicone sealant on rocker cover?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be looking at injector seals as they are in the head and while there check for signs of any cracks in the head around the injectors.
How did the can start? Any signs of being tampered with already ie silicone sealant on rocker cover?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply...I changed oil and filter and fired her up. Smokey at first but cleared quickly and drove fine. I’ll take out injectors, get them tested and change seals I’ll Check out the head as well. Fingers crossed 🤞

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did the engine oil smell of diesel?. Remove the diesel filter and check the colour of the fuel and filter housing. If you see dark coloured fuel, engine oil is mixing with the fuel, caused by an internal leak in the tandem pump. Really common.Fuel will be drawn into the vacuum pump and expelled into the timing case and sump. This oil dilution will cause accelerated camshaft wear. There is a pressure test to check for tandem pump leakage, but you would need special equipment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the engine oil smell of diesel?. Remove the diesel filter and check the colour of the fuel and filter housing. If you see dark coloured fuel, engine oil is mixing with the fuel, caused by an internal leak in the tandem pump. Really common.Fuel will be drawn into the vacuum pump and expelled into the timing case and sump. This oil dilution will cause accelerated camshaft wear. There is a pressure test to check for tandem pump leakage, but you would need special equipment.
I’m pretty sure there was diesel in the oil. I’m just waiting on delivery of the injector seals and washers. I’ll check out the fuel filter as well. Thanks for the advice 👍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts