VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, having a few issues with my 2.5 TDI and was just looking underneath and noticed my oil sensor doesn’t have a harness connector plugged into it. I can’t seem to find the connector anywhere - so wondering if they actually have one Or it’s the same sump used on a different engine and they still fit the sensor instead of a block off plate. Just strange it didn’t show up when I put it on my Vag tool
5E831857-6C3D-4768-8668-727B403EF6F5.jpeg

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
On my 2005 1.9 that is the combined oil level & temperature sensor, (G62 I think?).

I would have thought it was used on the 2.5's as well as the 1.9's & there should be a plug somewhere around that plugs into it.
Having said that I would also have expected VCDS to see it as "faulty" seeing as how it's not plugged in.
Very strange.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Maybe if you haven't got VCDS plugged in the reader you are using does not support all VAG functions/options.

I have seen an exploded picture of both engines in TPS, (the VW parts supplier over here in the UK) & it shows that sensor as being fitted to both engines.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Maybe the previous owner removed the plug to extinguish the oil level warning after reading your other thread regarding your dip-stick length !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Maybe the previous owner removed the plug to extinguish the oil level warning after reading your other thread regarding your dip-stick length !
I think you’re on the money there mate...makes total sense! Stupidity at its finest, on their part.

Had no idea it was also a temp sensor.

Strange thing is I used my VCDS because it was blowing a heap of smoke and couldn’t be driven as it wouldn’t rev up and making intermittent knocking noises and surging and the only fault codes were Exhaust pressure sensor and MAF sensor (G70)
Changing both parts out stopped most of the smoke and idled nicely but was still knocking when I tried reving it and wouldn’t pick up revs properly...probably hardly any oil up top, due to the wrong dipstick reading

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have an '04 AXE engine like the one in the link it's not a 4wd but it does have a working oil sensor. It is also an opacity sensor which reports to the ECU for longlife servicing.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Mine is parked in muddy lane and the felt sump cover is covering the sump but it looks like the loom from the sensor goes up the driver's side (crank pulley side if a 2.5 had one!) very close to the oil pressure switch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is parked in muddy lane and the felt sump cover is covering the sump but it looks like the loom from the sensor goes up the driver's side (crank pulley side if a 2.5 had one!) very close to the oil pressure switch.
thanks mate, I’ll get back under and try looking for it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts