VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
whats missing in my head ..is where's a fault code if the sensor disconnected...or even a flashing glow plug symbol

000833 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
P0341 - 000 - Implausible Signal
I have 000833 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) fault but it does not display an engine management or glow plug light.

SC
If you plug in the cam sensor the van doesn't run? then there is still a problem that needs to be fixed. The ecu will default to use the crank sensor for injection but it should still throw up a fault to say either a open circuit on the cam sensor or the sensors don't line up at tdc ( there;s a word for it but can't think of it at the moment) so you hve had two problem's ...a starting issue and a running issue. The lift pump is a priming pump and doesn't run all the time, a cam sensor does run all the time. if the timing is out then why not get this fixed as well if you know it's not right? It maybe a ball ache to do with most stuff disconnected and using a timing tool to get it right. There seems to be so many people who think they can set the timing without the tool but you also have to set the pre load on the gears at the same time...it's not as easy as a cam belt.
Hi Festa

I see you hire the timing tool.
How much for this item and details on how to do the job (correctly).

Cheers
SC

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Just another thought- obviously from previous posts you are using VCDS, so no cheap eBay cables to blame here! If you disconnect any other sensor / actuator etc on the engine, do you get the correct fault codes and a CEL? Just wondering if there is a communications issue here.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Just another thought- obviously from previous posts you are using VCDS, so no cheap eBay cables to blame here! If you disconnect any other sensor / actuator etc on the engine, do you get the correct fault codes and a CEL? Just wondering if there is a communications issue here.
It is VCDS but is not genuine.
I do get other fault codes and CEL when they occur.

SC

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Is the sensor plug easy to unplug? (I gather the sensor itself is an ar$e to remove)
If it's easy, I might disconnect mine to see what happens, do a VCDS scan and look for a CEL

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I have 000833 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) fault but it does not display an engine management or glow plug light.

SC

Hi Festa

I see you hire the timing tool.
How much for this item and details on how to do the job (correctly).

Cheers
SC
No idea if this is correct, but it could make sense, .............. it is possible that the faulty camshaft position sensor does not illuminate the engine fault light because the ECU will take camshaft position information from the crank speed sensor when G40 fails. It has obviously "seen" the faulty G40 sensor, but doesn't deem it serious enough to illuminate the engine fault light.

·
Super Moderator
9,264 Posts
If the cam sensor is plugged in then start VCDS when the ignition is on before going to crank. Measuring block 001 will be powered when cranking and should then display camshaft timing in the last block on the right. 004 is also powered so that block as well to help. Heyskull what other fault codes have you had flash up in engine?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
The only
If the cam sensor is plugged in then start VCDS when the ignition is on before going to crank. Measuring block 001 will be powered when cranking and should then display camshaft timing in the last block on the right. 004 is also powered so that block as well to help. Heyskull what other fault codes have you had flash up in engine?
The only other fault was for a faulty DPF temperature Sensor but that cleared once replaced.

SC

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
No idea if this is correct, but it could make sense, .............. it is possible that the faulty camshaft position sensor does not illuminate the engine fault light because the ECU will take camshaft position information from the crank speed sensor when G40 fails. It has obviously "seen" the faulty G40 sensor, but doesn't deem it serious enough to illuminate the engine fault light.
That thought had crossed my mind, but I deemed it too serious a fault to ignore, as there is now no backup if the crank sensor or wiring fails. If it did, the engine would instantly die in the middle of -(insert choice of dangerous place to break down!) This fault would only be picked up at the next service, mmm, I think I'd rather know about it, but I didn't write the map!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
There seems to be so much redundancy built into engines these days which makes them so reliable. I remember when I had an 1990 Audi 90 quattro 20V back in the day, and for the craic, I decided to unplug as many sensors and actuators to see when it would actually stop running. I had nearly everything unplugged, and it still ran! Technically impossible I thought, but it must have managed to find, calculate and guess enough data to keep it going. That car was very early days MPFI, no lovely slick VCDS diagnostics, just blink codes on an LED and a jumper wire to set off the codes, and reset the memory. Although many years later on, I think Ross-tech made a cable to connect to VCDS, so the blink codes could be read on the PC?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
There seems to be so much redundancy built into engines these days which makes them so reliable. I remember when I had an 1990 Audi 90 quattro 20V back in the day, and for the craic, I decided to unplug as many sensors and actuators to see when it would actually stop running. I had nearly everything unplugged, and it still ran! Technically impossible I thought, but it must have managed to find, calculate and guess enough data to keep it going. That car was very early days MPFI, no lovely slick VCDS diagnostics, just blink codes on an LED and a jumper wire to set off the codes, and reset the memory. Although many years later on, I think Ross-tech made a cable to connect to VCDS, so the blink codes could be read on the PC?
I have had 2 Audi 90s a 2.2 and a 2.3, brilliant cars.

I also had an early Audi 100 Avant with the 5 cylinder 2.0 Turbo Diesel engine, now that was the best sounding diesel engine ever.
But much like the R5 2.5 engines no one wanted to work on them!
This was a shame as it was relatively economical engine which eventually failed the MOT on emissions.

SC

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Just a little add to this thread, when I disconnected the cam sensor on my BNZ, I got a 'No Signal' fault code and no CEL. I cycled the start up 5 times, but still no CEL.
On most sensors, when disconnected, or the wiring is broken, you will get a 'Open Circuit' fault code, but this one doesn't seem capable of doing so. One thing that was immediately apparent, was the significantly extended cranking time before the engine started, at least 5 revolutions, while the ECU calculated from variations in RPM which stroke the cylinders were on, before committing to injecting fuel.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts