VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
this is a topic that comes up but i know my pump timing and dynamic timing is out - the van runs ...just but i don't have access to any diagnostic or dial guage, Local garage has confirmed this but they don't have the equipment, does anyone know where i could get this set up in the glasgow area where i won't get ripped off??.

the van was bought with the fault but just trying to get it sorted now and get the final faults fixed.:blg:blg:blg:blg:blg:blg:blg:bhd

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,144 Posts
Cheaper to invest in your own system.
150 quid max, and you have all the diagnostics you need.

See the numerous threads on VCDS/VagCom/Ross-Tech.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i downloaded vcds and got a diag connector from ebay but couldn't get the usb to pick it up of the vcds

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,144 Posts
Windows version?

XP is easy, Win 7 not too hard if you understand how to set USB ports to Com 1 - 4, Windows 10 a pain (but still do-able..I did it!).

Main thing is, you need the USB port you are using to be seen as Com 1 - 4.

You'll then need to register ($99) with Ross-Tech to be able to do the timing.

Laptop with XP from ebay....50 quid, the lead...tenner, and then $99 to register.
Chances are, laptop battery will be poor...so another 20 quid for a 12 volt adaptor to run it from the van.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was trying to set up the com that gave me the issue my laptop in brand new this week with win10 previous was win7 it just wouldnt detect it.
iam going to try a few places tomorrow that were recommended.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
First question for any candidate garage is how would they check/set the timing. If not by electronic method (VCDS or similar) then they wont get it right and not worth spending your money.
Dial guages might get you nearish but just not accurate enough.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,144 Posts
it was trying to set up the com that gave me the issue my laptop in brand new this week with win10 previous was win7 it just wouldnt detect it.
iam going to try a few places tomorrow that were recommended.
Google "Changing Com ports assigned to USB Windows 10"

This is a starter, but you need to know where MicroSh*t hid the setting this time around (they're really good at hiding useful settings!....and I can't remember where I did mine!);

http://plugable.com/2011/07/04/how-to-change-the-com-port-for-a-usb-serial-adapter-on-windows-7/

Or (if you can stand listening to the guy...);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGW2dCGNBD0

It's all about port assignment.
VCDS DOES work on Win10, but Win10 tries to stop you setting Com port numbers to USB.
I've found, after setting mine, it's best to use the SAME socket everytime, as otherwise "that system that wants to control your life" just shifts the setting back to how MS wanted it to be!!!!

There is also help on the Ross-Tech website, and as you "must be related, Ross.kane", I'm sure they'd help you. (Especially if you promise them $99 once it connects) T:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Take it to a garage and they will charge you an hours labour or less. I use Powdrake Service Centre in Grangemouth for my last 2 cambelt changes, they look after a few 2.5tdi T4's that I know of and they know what they are doing.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,144 Posts
Take it to a garage and they will charge you an hours labour or less. I use Powdrake Service Centre in Grangemouth for my last 2 cambelt changes, they look after a few 2.5tdi T4's that I know of and they know what they are doing.
That's around 300 quid in Norway!
Even in UK, someone who can do it properly will want 150 quid.
That's the same price as buying your own system where you can do it yourself, and also check/clear any fault codes you have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i will end up getting my own software and doing the work, maybe with help from the forum took it to a garage to save me time and its in spec apparently.
misfire is still there and struggles to get above 50mph. think i might block of the egr take another element out of it. also tempted to just redo the head gasket and inspect the head, and i know that its done right

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
That's around 300 quid in Norway!
Even in UK, someone who can do it properly will want 150 quid.
That's the same price as buying your own system where you can do it yourself, and also check/clear any fault codes you have.
Chill bro, I was only answering the original question about a local (ish) garage who know how to do it without ripping anyone off T:

£150 for 20 minutes work?! Not even the main dealers are taking that much... Yet...

It takes longer to get the engine up to the required temperature than it does to plug in and adjust the tensioner :D

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,144 Posts
Problem is, most dealers and garages use a minimum time of 1 hour to base labour charges on.

It's not really a rip off, as even if the "work" only takes 20 mins, they still have to cover time for paperwork, some cost towards the equipment and tools they have to buy at some point.....general running costs of a business.

I was getting at the garages overpricing, just that the job is easy to do yourself for the same initial outlay of money....and you have the "tool" for life.

·
Registered
573 Posts
From what I understand of this system (I don't have one) u need to have the mechanical timing nice and close before doing the computer timing. So if the timing g was sloppily done(very easy to do badly) the ecm had trouble getting the timing right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i replaced the injectors as i eventually got a needle lift fault got a set on ebay used but what a difference straight away.. still has a bit of a fuel smell but alot better and still has a slight popping noise when under load

1 - 16 of 16 Posts